How is it that my income is too high to qualify for assistance yet it's not enough to survive on my own?

I bring home $1500 a month working full time and going to school. Max. income for our family size to quailfy for cash aid, food stamps, rent assistance, utility assistance, day care assistance, etc. is $1300. Rent alone is $1100 but you must make at least 3x as much. Sooo where does that leave me? Am I honestly supposed to work LESS TO AFFORD to live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I hear ya! Unfortunately, it seems the system is kinda screwed up. The people who really need the assistance, can't seem to get it... sometimes I think it's because we don't have the ins and outs on how to screw the system! LOL! I guess I missed that class! Seriously, do you have any sort of agency in your area for help... We have a First Call for Help here... they really do help you get in the direction you need to be going. Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I had to search and search then found on my states website a list of low income housing. NOT section 8. Where I am there is a waiting list to get on the waiting list (not even joking)!! Just a list of apt and houses that are lower cost , sliding scale OR except section 8 vouchers. So our mortgage is currently 1135. Our average rent near us is $1000. We found a place 20 min away with places at 650. It took me a long time to figure out where to look. Check your states housing website to see other option. just google low income housing (your state)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Find cheaper rent... That's the boat we are in. I had to look HARD but I found a place that is almost half what er are paying. Of course then I lost my job so... Anyway. If rent is you biggest problem then find a way to lessen it when your lease is up. I am sure it isn't what you want to hear... I didn't want to hear it either...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'm right there with you. The same government that says I make to much also says they can't track down my ex to pay child support. I got my home through a government program. SO, if I'd get a second job,more income they'd raise my monthly payment. So, there is never even a chance to get ahead. IF they find my ex husband, I get child support my payment goes up - itsa loose, loose situation and it stink.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• There is no cheaper rent unless I rent a low income apartment (this I qualify for) but the shortest wait list is 2 years. My only other option is to rent a room from someone but very hard to do with a family that includes a 2 year old.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• sorry, there has to be a line in the sand somewhere.
    Certainly look for cheaper rent, even if that means a longer commute.
    Anonymous

• yeah my SIL is in the same boat. they said her apt. is luxury and to move somewhere cheaper if you cant afford your food etc. I get food stamps but my SO brings around 1000 a month and its me him and an infant.
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 1:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Even if I moved 45 minutes away the cheapest rent I am going to find is $900. That will compensate in the extra gas and more frequent car tune ups I will be paying to get to work, not to mention, it is still barely enough.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• where do you live?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Were in the same boat basically. We made more then you but with 3 kids at home and me and dh we still dont make enough for help. We just have learned to cut down on everything. Neither of us have cell phones. We have a 24 mth contract with the cable company and its saves us around $50 a month. I shop only sales. I get assistance from food banks when I need to. And learned how to cook more from scratch.
    Anonymous