Running!

so went for my first run last night since the end of last summer 2010..anyways i need pointers when i run how am i supposed to breathe so i dont feel short of breath. oh and my sides hurt to when i start the run but goes away as i get warmed up! is that normal or bad? i feel so great and energized after a run..i was doing zumba in the winter but now that its warm i love going for runs/walks. i went from 186 to 110 and feel awesome :) feel like i can run around and play with my 3 kids for hours without getting tired :) just need advice on what not to do on a run and what to do!?!? thanks :)

mommyof3_21

Asked by mommyof3_21 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• long and deep breaths in and out through the nose. no short breaths. you need to train yourself to breathe deeply with every breath
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• First of all, GOOD JOB!! I started running in September after not running for about 6-7 years. The side aches can be normal. As long as you can get through them, don't stress about them. Try adding more potassium to your diet to help with that. As for the breathing (which is a HUGE part of running), I breathe in two steps, out two steps. I change my breath on each left foot strike, and that seems to be a good rhythm for me. I have to find that rhythm. If I don't find that rhythm, it ruins my whole run.
    I use 2 iPhone apps (not at the same time) for my runs: mapmyfitness and Runkeeper Pro. They are both free, and have websites. They track your miles, pace, route, etc. You can also just track them when you get home, if you just want to use the website (no iPhone).
    There's a great Running Moms group on here. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Awesome job on the weight loss! Running is awesome. As for breathing, there's lots of advice out there, but really, I don't think about it much - I just breathe how it makes me feel best. When I start a run, it always hurts - it takes me about a mile to a mile and half before my body stops objecting and just goes with the run. I think its normal! If you're getting short of breath you may want to slow your pace down a little and build up from there. Running consistently will help you not get so short of breath so quickly! Check out the running mom's group they are great!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I run daily about 8 to 10 miles a day and do marathons and 1/2 marathons. You are probably cramping in your side because of posture. You need to make sure you are not collapsing the upper part of your body when you run....you'll understand what I'm talking about if you go for a run and really focus on pulling in your abs and pushing our your chest/lungs. As for breathing, you might want to try double breathing....it's almost like lamaze...suck two deep breaths in and blow two out. Eventually you'll just naturally start to breath more deeply and wont get winded.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Google Jeff Galloway Running Program-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Good job on the weight loss! That's amazing!!
    Your breathing will improve as you keep running. I know that if I take a break from running (all of December because of awful weather), my muscles are still good for a 4-mile rune, but my breathing is the first thing to go. Keep at it and your breathing will adapt. Focus on taking long, slow breaths.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would ease into it again by doing a program such as Couch to 5K: www.c25k.com
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2011