If a grandparent gives a gift to "keep at their house" is it a gift? should the child say thank you?

wyattgrace

Asked by wyattgrace at 1:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes to both questions.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes and yes. My daughter has plenty of keep at Mimi's house toys. Less I have to tote back and forth.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• yes and yes...i try to teach my kids to say thank you whenever anything is given to them. Food, clothes, toys, books, nice comments, reguardless of who gives it. i even try to teach them to tell me thank you when i give them anything because while yes i am obligated to give them food its still should be appreciated
    Rylansmommy386

Answer by Rylansmommy386 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes and Yes. It's not like Grandma bought the toy for herself and is trying to pass it off as something for the kids. I doubt she's playing with it when they leave. It's for the kids and it's nice that they will have something to play with at the grandparents and they can look forward to it when they go.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes, and yes. Anytime somthing is given to my son, even if its a cracker, he should say thank you, if someone would not have given it to him, than he wouldnt have it, there for, he should be thankful. Its important that grandmas house have toys and things, you child should know that sometimes things need to be shared with other grandchildren, or stay at grandmas house so he has somthing to play with while he is there.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 2:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Honesty, I'm not sure. Depends on how much the kids are over there. We rarely go to dhs parents house bc theirs is the typical " grandparents" house. Tons of things the kids can get into and have zero boundaries. If they got something for their house, no, why would it be a gift if the kids get to play with it 2 or 3 times a year....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Of course.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes, your child should say thank you. Wether or not it's a real gift is debatable since it has limitations. My MIL insisted on keeping everything she ever bought for our kids at her house. Our kids would say thank you, but they never really looked at those things as theirs, but as Nanny's that they got to play with.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• while I agree that children should have toys at the house they visit, let me explain a little more on Saturday the grandma came for his birthday and bought him this really cool bike (he is 3 and doesnt have a bike yet ) then after he was on it and trying to ride it she told him to get off of it, cause it was a grandma house toy. he threw a fit. then yesterday she came by for Easter dinner and gave him a toy computer he was all into it when she left so did the computer once again he cried that he wanted his toy. I didnt get him a bike for his birthday cause she said she was getting him one. He never spends the night over there, and we only go to visit maybe once a month.
    wyattgrace

Comment by wyattgrace (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes. My kids have 'grandparent house' toys as well, they borrow them to take home sometimes but they have to bring them back. Keeps us from packing the whole house when they go! And yes any time they get anything at all, even dinner, they say thank you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011