Do you save anything throughout the year....

for the holidays? How much, say weekly, do you put back? How do you refrain from pinching in it when times get REALLY tough?

Dahis

Asked by Dahis at 2:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I just save a percentage of every paycheck (and have for over 25 years), or whatever amount I could spare when times where really really tight (even if it was just $1 I would add it to my savings). I also would do little things like: keep a pouch for cash savings. Any time I bought groceries, what change was left went into the pouch (or shopping of any kind). Then once every few months I would deposit that money into savings (this added up quickly sometimes).

If all else fails. Set aside $5-$10 per week. Just put that money away in an envelope or pouch (like a pencil pouch you get kids for school) with a little mini writing pad to keep track, and stick it away in a drawer or some place if you do not have a little safe a home. Don't tell anyone you are stashing this cash (because it will become more tempting to spend it) and remind yourself what that money is for whenever you add another $5 so that you aren't tempted.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Saving is my "norm"; I save every pay period so I don't feel the need to specifically save for the holidays. By my method, I have $ for whatever comes up.
    Anonymous

• No, but I probably should. I usually just use my holiday bonus to get gifts..
    Anonymous

• I put it out to some friends that I am available to babysit if needed and a few have JUMPED at this...my goal for the Christmas season is to save about $1500... I am more tha 1/2 way there in a month... then I will put aside the $50 for scouts and $35 for soccor and shoes.... yep I save for all those little things and they can ad up quick!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I dont really start saving for the holidays until around Aug. Then we put back around $50 a paycheck. During the year I shop sales though and for instance one year found a great sale on hair dryers. They were $5 and I picked up around 7. I gave them as gifts at Christmas. I also picked up some silver platters for $10 one time, and got around 10. Again gave them as gifts. I just put them under the bed or in my closet and then at Christmas all I have to do is pull out what I have bought and wrapped it. I do the same with toys. One year I found Barbies on sale for $3, and picked up a bunch.

Answer by gemgem at 2:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I "save" through-out the year by shopping sales and clearance for people for holidays and birthdays. That way I don't have to jump and spend top dollar when the time comes and it gives me a little extra leeway if I want to splurge on something else at holiday time since most of the shopping is done.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 3:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I save for Christmas, retirement, college funds. It may not be much, but every little bit will help.
    Anonymous

• I put my VA money in my savings account plus $250 from my paycheck and $250 from my husband's. The kids all have June birthdays, his is in July and mine is in August. So we try to save all year round so we aren't scrambling for special events.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Nope. My husband will get an extra pay check in June and we'll take money out from that to pay for Christmas this year.

We keep from spending "special event money' by having an emergency fund and a written budget. Though to be honest we'd probably spend Christmas/vacation money way before we'd touch the emergency fund. But the written budget can help a lot =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011