Is marriage sacred anymore?

Is marriage a lifelong commitment anymore? Is it still for better or for worse? Why get married if there is no permanent commitment? (With the exception of infidelity)

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• nothing is sacred anymore.....
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I do believe so. I also believe if your going to have children, you should be married first.
    Seems like there are a LOT of people on here that don't belive marriage is important.

I sure like me, my husband and children all having the SAME last name. I actually feel highly OFFENDED that when filling out medical forms, school paper work and othter items that it KEEPS asking for the last name of my dh and children. Maybe marriage should be the NORM, not the other way around.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Because marriage has become a status symbol, almost even a fad...look at what marriages usually revolve around marriage these days- weddings!! Its no longer about the lifelong commitment, but about the biggest and best weddings. You don't see shows celebrating couples who endure long marriages, but divorce, infidelity, etc are spread amongst the media everywhere. Society has disillusioned the idea of marriage.. So while, yes, I believe its sacred- at the same time I think there's a plethora of reasons why the institution of marriage is crumbling in out society.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Mine is, but not all are.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• When I said my vows I meant them...I can't speak for other people or their situations but for me, marriage is still sacred and I have every intention of doing everything in my power to STAY married....of course it helps that I have a really great husband whom I consider to be my very best friend =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I can only speak for my own marriage, but for me, it's a lifelong commitment. I have joked to my husband that I meant it when I said "Til death", and I would not be afraid to collect on that promise. ;)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It depends on the couple. For my husband and I it is and we are going on nine years with many to follow.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I wish I knew the answer to this. I ask myself that all the time. I will be honest that I dont feel like it is. I want mine to be for sure but in this day and age I dont feel secure that just because I am married that I am for good. My faith tells me that divorce is not supposed to be an option but sadly it is today.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My vows to my husband are VERY sacred to me. For better or for worse. I am not one to run and I stick things out and try to work through them. I know I am not perfect, but my husband accepts my flaws as do I his. Whatever doesnt tear us apart only makes us stronger :)
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 2:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• in loveI got married in the Catholic church, and made a committment to God, my DH and myself and I consider that to be very sacred! I will never stray or give up , neither will DH! I love this question :)

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011