Is riding a bike good exercise or is it too easy?

How do you know if you are getting anything out of it?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 2:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Do intervals. Go up and down with your speed and heart rate. Go really hard for 5 minutes and then go regular for 5 minutes. Change the resistance, stand up, work sitting down. Each one will work different parts of your legs butt abs arms. Do this for 30 minutes to an hour. I love bike riding because its a great workout but its not hard on your joints plus you get to enjoy nature and travel. Even if you are at the gym this works.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Riding a bicycle is great exercise. Great cardio, works to build and streamline muscle mass (especially in the legs, thighs, and glutes). Ride a bike often enough (daily to 5 times a week) for 30 minutes to 1 hour each ride, and you will FEEL the difference within 1-2 weeks, you will see a difference (depending on what shape you are in now) either within that time you will start noticing little difference or within a month.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I say that if it challenges your body and you can feel a difference, then it is exercise.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I just started riding and will ride 40 or more miles a week I think it will be a workout
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well it burns calories either way. *How much* I guess depends on how long, how fast and up how many hills.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Are you sweating? Are you getting your heart rate up? Just like walking, you can be casually cruising, which doesn't do much, or you can be pushing yourself, in which case, you're getting something out of it. It's all about what effort you're putting forth. I get a good workout from it. Add some hills for a great challenge! Do sprint drills in the flats! Push it as hard as you can for 30 seconds, then back off for a minute. On the hills, stay in the saddle as long as you can, and reduce your gear as needed. I love cycling on the days I don't run!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Heck yes, cycling can be excellent exercise-

I live in the hills-riding a bike is a killer- talk about feeling the burn-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2011