Do you think this is a typo???

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/20110319/OSH0105/110318132/Union-concessions-would-save-Oshkosh-district-least-4-million-renegotiated-contracts?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

This article states that teachers were getting 90 sick days a year (that's 1/2 the school year!!!) down to 10.  Could this really be true???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would almost believe it I swear my son has a sub every other week... Wow.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• bull

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• 8: Average number of days teachers took off for sick and personal leave

12: Number of days contracts for most area school districts allow teachers to take

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think they are confusing sick LEAVE for sick days

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well, I tried to look up more. Seems to just be this particular district but I couldn't fond a reliable source... just odd.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• They might be eligible for 12 weeks of FMLA leave but that isn't the same as sick time. It is only for certain situations (major surgery, childbirth, care of sick relative) and would not be paid unless they had sick/vacation time to take. After that, it would be unpaid. I would be surprised if teachers got more than 10-12 paid sick days a year.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If the kids can only miss 10 days a school year without getting in trouble; staff should be the same.. I think they are mixing up medical leave with sick days tho..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I may be mistaken, but I thought I read that they were not allowed to 'bank' sick days previously, so they proposed 90 days in place of short term disability, and the teachers usually only take something like 3 days on average? I'll have to look that up to see if that's correct. I don't know if that's typical, but I have a few teacher friends here in TN, and I know one missed a few days of work because her baby was sick (and was sent home from daycare) and was worried about not having enough sick days for the year just from missing a few days. So, I imagine something like 8-12 days a year is more typical, but maybe those districts have other short term disability options in place for longer leaves of absence and more serious illnesses. The link above suggests that they would now get 10 sick days, but will be allowed to accumulate up to 90 days a days if they don't use them each year.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Based on what I see here, I'd say that they have blurred the lines between sick days and short term disability, so maybe they are trying to make that more clear in the future (and reduce the total number of days they can accumulate). It is common for employers to offer short term disability insurance to pay partial benefits for unexpected illnesses, so it looks like they didn't have that, but had guaranteed protection up to 90 days. The other link said they accumulate 10 days a year, but it looks like the maximum depended on how long they had worked there.

Osh Kosh Sick Leave OEA

Osh Kosh Sick Leave OPEA
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• depending on how long they have been working
    MiszNewStuff

Answer by MiszNewStuff at 3:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011