Questions about Paul.

I am studying a bit on the history of Paul and who he was and found out that he was a Pharisee who persecuted the early Christians who later had some type of vision or "flash of light and heard a voice" that asked why he was persecuting someone (assuming JEsus?) and that is how he was converted then he later wrote the letters to the churches on his vision that he had. Does anyone else know a bit more on him? This is one reason I don't believe in Acts and the rest of his work

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure the exact question here (not your confusion on the issue, I don't understand the actual question).

But, yes, Paul was known as Saul, a self described "Pharisee of Pharisees" that persecuted the church (Christians) "beyond measure".

His conversion was on the road to Damascus, along with a flash of light that left him blinded for 3 days.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 2:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The only evidence for him is what is written in the Bible, so whatever he says about himself there is supposedly the truth.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes Paul's Hebrew name is Saul. I like Paul's writing but when I'm reading them I take into account the context they are written in. Paul was a leader of early Christianity. I imagine a lot of people were asking Paul a lot of questions and asking him to clarify some things for Christians.  When I'm reading Paul's work I ask myself what his main message is.   

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If I believed in some form of reincarnation, I would be firmly convinced that Paul has come back as Fred Phelps.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 4:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'm not sure I understand why what you stated would draw you away from belief in Acts
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

>>>>>
    Teehee, I can see that! I am not a fan of Paul either
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I've read a little about him here and there in different analyses while trying to compare Jesus' sayings and Paul's writings, but most of what I know about him is what is in the Bible--just comparing different people's interpretations of the writings. I find it interesting that of the 22 times he's called an apostle in the NT, only 2 of those times are someone besides himself saying it (Luke) though. I'm not aware that he's referenced outside the Bible in any historical records though, and although some question the authorship of some of the writings attributed to him in the NT, most people accept that he was the writer of the letters.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

--

Paul is mentioned in Acts, but the writing of Acts is usually attributed to Luke.

Pauline Epistles
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Oh I believe he was the writer of these letters I guess what I am referring to is his relationship to the others meaning that he didn't know Jesus in the flesh rather in spirit and I am just reading history on when these things were written and so on.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thank you for the correction pam. I believe what I was refering to is his letters and the whole revelation thing
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2011