Okay so I lost my job and have yet to find a new one...

I have applied at every place you can imagine... DH has had soem luck looking for a better paying still no offers. Here is the breakdown:
DH makes about 420 a paycheack
We will get get 250 in food stamps so I usually also put in about 40-50
rent is 675
Gas is 70 a paycheck'

I get my last check in 3 weeks. No food stamps until I stop getting paid and we will NOT lie. My question is. If I don't find a job where do we live? We have no family or friends with room for the 4 of us. Section8 waiting list is closed. We are already in a low income complex. Are we going to be homeless?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Talk to the apartment manager and tell him whats going on see if you can apply for some rent assistance as well the salvation army sometimes helps.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• After taking out the essentials, that leaves you with $875 per month. Is there a reason you don't think you could afford the rent? You need to do a full budget with all your bills.
    Anonymous

• OP have you applied for unemployment to supplement income while you job hunt? You are okay to apply as of your last DAY of work.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You might also check DH's withholdings from his paycheck. You might be able to get some extra cash by changing the withholdings. And absolutely apply for unemployment on your last day.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• By the way... your gas cost will probably drop when you're not working. And if you have any vacation time accrued, you'll get paid for it in your final check.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I do not get unemployment because of the way my slip was written up. He was looking to lay someone off and waited for someone to screw up. I made a mistake and he wrote that as my reason plus every other mistake I have ever made in the last 9 years. It made me look like I was insane or totally stupid.

Here is the full budget if I cut what we can
    ret-675
    elect 130
    water-35
    phone-40
    gas- month 130
    title loan payment-25
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• So you were denied unemployement? Did you file an appeal? I have yet to meet someone that was fired and didn't collect after the appeal process. I'm sure they exist, but most times you still get it.
    I think you missed car insurance in your budget.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• What about monthly food expenses and toiletries in that budget?
    Anonymous

• If you haven't filed, do so ANYWAY. The WORST that can happen is the state turns you down... you might be surprised.

I seem to remember you posting last week; that electric bill looks VERY high. Have the utility do a check on your home to see if you can cut that cost.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Go ahead and register for work with your state's unemployment commission. It never hurts to get that process started.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2011