Women with Munchausen biproxy?

Do you think that women that have this disease and get charged for hurting their children should go to jail and sit there for the allotted time or do you think that they can get rehabilitated? Also do you think if they can not get rehabilitated do you think that the government should step in and keep them from having children so that they can not hurt or kill another child? What are your thoughts on this?

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• not everyone should be a parent that is like saying the serial killers should be parents, yes at times the government is over bearing but, there are many cases of children being abused and not getting the help that they need.

I agree! Why is it that we have to have a license to fish, hunt, drive, get married - but anyone can have a kid?! Doesn't make sense to me!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Just how would the government prevent them from having other kids? Forced sterilization is NOT ok, it reeks of nazism. DCF should definitely monitor future children and be prepared to step in at the first sign of trouble, but you can't sterilize people against their will. That is a very slippery slope to let the gov decide who can reproduce and who can't.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Its tough to say.

I learned about it alot as a CPS caseworker - never had a case like that though...........

Anonymous

• i always wonder what the government does in these types of cases.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think she should get therapy. Think they should be keep under tabs & if they have another child it be taken until she can prove she isnt going to hurt that child too. I read a book about this subject. Unfortunately, its kind of like child molesters...they can get help but they never really "get over it". It's sad.

Anonymous

• No, I think they should be artificially inseminated and forced to have additional kids and give them up for adoption. Just kidding.

I don't know. I don't have the education or experience in this field to give a professional opinion. I would think that the only way to make sure they aren't going to hurt any other children (if they have more after serving time) would be to require they take their meds (if meds are what helps) and have 18 years of drop ins by CPS. Still, that doesn't exactly ensure the safety of the child. I think once they serve their time they are free to do what they please. Sad.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• By Proxy, not biproxy. my little laugh of the day.
    Anonymous

• By Proxy, not bi proxy. my little laugh of the day. i forgot to spell check it. sorry!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• The government cannot prevent a pregnancy or prevent someone from having a child but I have known of cases where through a family court order an expectant mother must will have her child removed from her care once that child is born. Such as a pregnant woman has had two of her children removed from the home and into protective custody must give her infant child also to social services. As far as Munchhausen syndrome it is VERY difficult to prove. I'm a therapist and it takes a lot to say someone has this disorder. Typically they are women who have had some sort of medical background - a nurse, a CNA, something that gave them the extra knowledge to keep their child ill enough...
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• cont..I do believe that any care taker who is diagnosed with this disorder is also equally responsible for their actions. In order for a court to say that a person was mentally not capable of being responsible for this crime it has to be proven that they were psychotic at the time of the incident. In this case, incidents. But these individuals do know what they are doing and are not psychotic. So therefore should be held responsible. To the best of my knowledge this would be hard to treat - although I have not personally ever done so. But I do understand that these people usually don't admit to their actions and the first step in getting help is admitting that you were responsible. So it is an up hill battle.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2008