I just need some advice on what to do!

I am a first time mom and i really don't know what to do about some things. I never really had a mom so she really didn't teach me anything. my little girl is one year old and she is spoiled rotten. she is a cry baby. and it drives me nuts. is it always like this or did i do something wrong?

serenitysmom20

Asked by serenitysmom20 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your baby is pefectly normal. ;) They are somewhat like that until 4 or 5 . . . it is just a part of their development.

Hugs . . . .I am sure she is great . . .and, you can't spoil a baby :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Just be down on yourself. If you see a problem with her behavior IT ISNT TOO LATE! Set down house rules, let her know what they are (even though she may not totally get it), and stick to it. The most important thing in changing a childs behavior is consistancy. Whether it is time out, taking things away, etc, you have to be consistant. You can fix whatever behavioral problems she may have at this stage, but it will take time, patience, and commitment to it. Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• the time they call terrible twos..but its actually the year following their first birthday till they are 2..most kids this age are whiny and clingy to mom, etc i doubt ur doing too much wrong if you think to even ask that question, just do your best to ignore the tantrums not give her things such as candy, bribes to make her behave and you should be fine..and if shes driving u totally up the wall confine her to her crib or playpen for her safety and take a breather in another room :)
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I didn't have a mom either. To me, spoiling means showering with materialistic stuff and no love. My daughter who is now 14 has a lot of "toys" but also a lot of love and I think she will be ok.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I am a young mommy of 3. ages 7yr boy, 3 and 4 year old girlys. Routine is everything! sounds simple, but it is. with my 1st baby i didn't know what the heck i was doing, i picked him up everytime he cried and he never would let me put him down and was a fussy spoiled baby, baby and never knew what the heck a bedtime was i would let him stay up till he fell asleep and people would tell me to let him cry to sleep and i thought that was just mean, but then baby number 2 came y kylie girl( now 4yrs old) and i remembered what i went through with baby num 1 and was like forget that i am the boss not the child and i had her sleeping through the night at 3mths old, in her own room at 1mth ( of course i listened for her) and did not pick her up when she whined ever! what i did was was, i never started letting her sleep in my bed( mistake with baby 1) iwhen ready to sleep through the nite i put her in bed at same time everynight.
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 3:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My mom didnt teach me anything either but I learned. That's not an good excuse. I hear that from bad dads before "my dad was a crappy dad so that's why I am". Break the crappy cycle now mommy! Spoiling your child is doing a great dis-service to her. You can stop it now. You can be a tremendously good, loving mom w/out spoiling a child . They don't need a treat every time you go out to the store is a big one. Don't use treats as a way of keeping a child quiet. If she whines say "I dont hear whining. I dont hear you. When you can talk to me I will hear you". Ignoring bad behavior & rewarding good behavior is #1. Of course, you need to punish them within reason when they dont listen. A lot of that is safety issues. Kids needs to listen or they can get hurt. (example: dont run away from me in the parking lot. cars will run over you) And a child who NEEDS hugs & kisses is NOT spoiled. Kids need attention & some need it more often
    Anonymous

• and let her cry it out ( took 1wk and she has been sleeping through the night ever since. I only picked my kiddos up when they we're not whinning at me, if they whinedto be picked up i would say " mommy doesnt like whinningand ignore them'. it take practice and you live, you learn, then you get luvs, lol. if you wanna talk, vent, advice friend me
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 3:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011