Ive been leaking alot of Colostrum it ruins my bed sheets, so I asked my doctor about pumping, she said it casues preterm labor, but since im 37 weeks which is considered full term and my my ultrasound came back perfect, she said it was up to me. I pumped my colostrum and got over 3oz in 10 min, is it safe to save in the feezer for my baby or should i just toss it?

Fearless21

Asked by Fearless21 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• yeah you can put it in the freezer and it will stay good. i did that when i was 36 weeks and i had her at 38 weeks.
    serenitysmom20

Answer by serenitysmom20 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You can save it... but know that the pumping merely encourages MORE colostrum and leaking. Time for breast pads, and a towel under you would be a good idea too.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Are you fkn crazy? And I mean that in the most sincere way. Do NOT do that! Suck it up, and wait it out. Use breast pads. Just because it's 'considered' full term doesn't mean it is. Full term babies can have complications too.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If you doctor advised against it, why are you doing it? Just because 37 wks is considered full term doesnt mean the baby doesnt need a bit more time inside. The baby comes when its ready to. Use breast pads & wear a bra at night! I would be more concerned w/ the baby then the bed sheets! Believe me a LOT of material items are going to end up "ruined" once you have children around! Its a way of life!
    Anonymous

• I agree with Christine and anon. Breast pads and towels at night. Pumping is going to cause contractions and bc your doctor advised against it, why are you doing it?? 40 weeks is full term, just because the baby is viable at 37 doesn't mean they need to make their appearance at 37 weeks bc you are worried about your sheets
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Damn! I agree with Christine!! DOES ANY ONE LISTEN TO DOCTORS ANY MORE??? Why did you even bother asking if your gonna do what ya want to any way? Why don't you just shove some thing up yourself and break your water, give birth and put the baby on your nipple and have the neighbors dog chew off the umbilical cord? Seems like you don't follow doctors orders any way!

Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 3:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The doctor did say, it was up to ME. I will produce colostrum until about 72 hours or so after the baby is born.It wouldnt cause any harm. i just had an ultrasound yesterday too and baby is 6 and half pounds fluids and anatomy is perfect.Im listening to my doctor i had just forgot to ask if its safe to save in the freezer or if the anibodies in it are useless after frozen,? I call the doctor all the time for every little thing, figured this is something minor I could comunicate with other moms about. This is my first child and im just trying to do whats best for her. I guess i shouldnt try and get advice from other moms, or the public. That was my biggest mistake.
    Fearless21

Comment by Fearless21 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Causes preterm labor!! Doesn't matter!! Especially if it is your 1st child! If you are doing what is best for the child then stop worrying about your sheets!!

Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 3:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You're very fortunate that you were able to collect such a lot of colostrum! Don't throw it away! Freeze it, then take it to the hospital with you when you deliver, and you can supplement your baby's breastfeeding with it. (Use a syringe or feeding cup).

Pumping more will only encourage your body to produce more colostrum and ultimately milk. Purchase breast pads (they look like large make-up remover pads) and tuck inside your bra to prevent as much dripping onto your clothes. And don't worry about a spot or two on the sheets! They'll wash...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• wow, some people are so rude..this is your first baby, better to fill you with knowledge then criticism, yea thats going to make you more confident about being a good mother..anyway, pumping will just make you produce more and then you will just leak more..better to not stimulate production and get breast pads, put two on each side if you need to, thats what i did..i was over-producing and became very painful..
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011