Is my two year old color blind, how can I tell?

I don't know if he's color blind or he just doesn't pick up on colors... he knows everything else... he can tell me tons of things, except colors. what do I do?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• He may be...ask you ped when it he is old enough to tell.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My 2 year old doesn't know any of her colors yet. I'd give it some time. The optometrist will do a color blindness test when they're old enough to tell you the names of the colors and their numbers or letters. I'd say wait at least until he is about 3...maybe even 4.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Play a game. Put a couple pieces of cereal in a cup, and use an identical cup but different color that is empty. Tell him that the cereal will always be in the (green, red or whatever colors you are testing for) cup. You'll be able to tell if he can't tell the difference between the two colors after you've played a few times.

Answer by Bmat at 1:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Make him and eye appointment-and optomotrist should be able to give you an idea
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• He might just not understand colors yet! What other kinds of things does he know already? I'd say at two to know so much he's doing pretty well!

From what I understand of color blindness, he should still be able to differentiate between a lot of the colors, he just won't see them the way we do. If you're talking primary colors, he'll do ok, it's just those tricky in between shades! It's actually pretty common for men to be colorblind, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, he'll learn to work with it. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• show him like three differant colors of paper ask him if they are all the same or of there is somethign differant about them or cut out 3 stars and ask if there is a differance between them if he says yes then you know hes not color blind and you can just keep working on colors
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My daughter's therapists all carry red, green, and yellow cups to sort objects into. I asked them why they all have the same color cups, and they said it was so they could tell if a child was color blind or not. Those are the main colors that colorblind people can't see. My dad is color blind, and he can tell the difference between most colors, but those three always get him. He thinks red is green, green is red, and yellow...I have NO idea what color that appears to him LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2008