Should Christian churches allow gays and lesbians to be ordained as priests?

The part of the Book of Leviticus which sentences homosexuals to death also: permits polygamy, bans tattoos, prohibits eating meat that isn’t well-cooked, prohibits eating rabbits, pigs or some forms of seafood, and prohibits the wearing of clothes made of blended textiles (such as polyester). Most Christians accept that parts of the Bible were written according to the outdated social opinions of the time and can be taken lightly. The only New Testament comments about homosexuality come from the moralising apostle Paul; there is nothing directly from Jesus, in the Gospels themselves.

Homosexuality is "a grievous sin" in the Bible (Gen 18:20), a capital crime (Lev 20:13), and punishable by exclusion from the Kingdom of Heaven (1 Cor 6:9-10). Christians - especially priests - must accept the Bible as the ultimate authority. Christian ministry is therefore incompatible with homosexuality. Jesus was a radical teacher and overturned Jewish tradition where He saw it was necessary to do so; His silence on homosexuality indicates that He saw no need in this case.

LanaisSky96

Asked by LanaisSky96 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Sure..
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• God loves everyone. But lesbianism and being gay are sins.
    GraciesMommy464

Answer by GraciesMommy464 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• IMO if a person has a calling to be a Priest they should be allowed to do so... I don't think their sexual orientation should be a factor.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• For all the reasons you stated Christian churches would not allow gays and lesbians to be ordained as priests.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If you don't like a church teachings or can't find one that teaches the way that you believe it should be taught then elect yourself pope and start your own church with the teachings you believe it should have.......
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• That to me is like asking if a rehabilitated prostitute can be a nun............probably not.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't particularly like religion, but I hate bigotry even more. So if a gay or lesbian person actually wants to be a priest, they should be allowed, in my opinion.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 3:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Jesus is silent on alligator-wrestling, too...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It clearly states that homosexuality is an abomination... no matter how u translate that, it is a sin. it takes something beautiful (man and woman) and mocks it. God detests the sin, the people he loves, but one living in sin should not hold a high place in a church. like would u hire a prostitute or child molester to preach, if they still practiced their sin, and did not believe their lifestyle was wrong? Im not saying they r comparable, but they are all equal sins in Gods eyes. and I have friends who r gay.. and go to church, thats not wrong.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 3:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Of course gay people can be priests. Gay is a state of being, not an act. Priests, in the Catholic faith are celibate, I'm sure that there are gay priests in the Catholic church, as I'm sure there are straight ones.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011