What do you do when your child gets lice?

My daughter had lice a few years ago and had it for almost a year. I tried EVERYTHING. Mayo, olive oil, Rid, Nix.... The last thing I tried was vaseline. It worked amazingly! It is a pain to get out afterward, but it suffocates the bugs. Leave it in for 24 hours, then wash it out. It will take a few washes to get it all out. Then, brush it with a fine tooth comb. A comb meant for lice and nits works the best because it gets all the eggs. Take your time combing, spend like an hour or more on it.

Also, dog flea and tick shampoo. That works. BE VERY CAREFUL with it. Do not get it in eyes or in mouth.

For adults, dying your hair with a permanent dye kills the bugs and then do the same with the comb.

My daughter has them AGAIN and I just spent two hours washing her hair. She had been saying for the past few days her head was really itchy, but every time I looked I didn't see anything at all. Yesterday, while helping her get a knot out, I saw them. Her hair was incredibly long. I took her outside and cut it. (Didn't come out too bad either :) ) She wanted a hair cut, it's just a little shorter than she wanted. This time, I used A&D because it's a little stronger than vaseline. I covered her whole head with it, tied on a bandana (HAD to happen on Easter, right? When a million pictures were being taken), had her strip her bed and that was it. I also washed her hair with the dog shampoo. She wasn't too fond of that, but the shampoo I have for my pets, also kills lice. Now, I'm giving her a break before I start combing it.

HaisMommySkit

Asked by HaisMommySkit at 3:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I've heard that using coconut scented shampoo is a good preventative measure, too. I don't know if it's true or not, but supposedly lice don't like pina coladas? :D Anyway, we've been using it because it smells nice anyway, so if it works, great. If it doesn't, I'm gonna remember that vaseline tip!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 3:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The dog shampoo is actually "coconut berry" scented. Didn't know a coconut was a berry, but hey, it smells good for a dog shampoo! Haha.

The vaseline works so well. I would imagine it would help with the dry scalp you get from scratching your head so much because of the lice.

I hope you never have to use it though!
    HaisMommySkit

Comment by HaisMommySkit (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I treat the hair (I use an all natural lice treatment rather than nix or rid) and also do an overnight oil treatment for the next week or so. I scrub the house from top to bottom, wash all bedding, quarentine all toys, and treat the furniture. We've gotten lice before but (knock on wood) have always been able to prevent a really hard to get rid of lice problem by really aggressively tackling it right away at the first sign of lice.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My DD got lice last year and did the store shampoo route.

This year (about the same time???), she got it again. Eeek! I tried a method I read about, using plain yellow listerine, soaked her hair and put in a showercap, let her watch TV on the couch a few hours, washed out and combed out the few eggs I found. This worked GREAT! Much better than the multiple apps of the store shampoo stuff.

Of course I washed all of her bedding in hot water; vacuumed the pillows, mattress, etc. really well; washed out brushes; and checked and rechecked her and other DDs hair daily for a week, then sporadically for a while after... just in case!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• There's a great non-medicated way to get rid of lice. It's called the Robi Comb, and its battery operated. It zaps the little buggers dead. When my sister had head lice I bought one, and it worked better than any medicated shampoos we had tried. You can find it at most any store, I bought mine at Walmart.
    MrsCota

Answer by MrsCota at 3:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Tis is all good advice. I've never had lice, but DD will be in school soon and these techniques might come in handy. Thnks!
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• All of these remedies sound interesting. I knew about the pet shampoo because it's one of the things my parents used to do. We had a lice a LOT when I was a kid. The last time I had it was freshman year of college because I'd gone back to my job corps campus for a week (infestations were common there) since I was dually enrolled and my college had a break. I've dyed my hair, shaved it all off, and washed with dog shampoo before. So far, neither DD has had lice *knock on anything even remotely wood-related* but reading this thread gave my head a psychosomatic itch. :)
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'd be afraid to use dog shampoo, don't know why.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I treat the hair (I use an all natural lice treatment rather than nix or rid) and also do an overnight oil treatment for the next week or so. I scrub the house from top to bottom, wash all bedding, quarentine all toys, and treat the furniture. We've gotten lice before but (knock on wood) have always been able to prevent a really hard to get rid of lice problem by really aggressively tackling it right away at the first sign of lice
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:02 AM on May. 9, 2011