Would you charge your college kids rent?

Your college age child does not go to college by his/her choice. You wanted them to go. Would you let them stay with you rent free?

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 3:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think my rule would be you can live in my home rent free IF you are in school. If you choose not to go to school and live with me then you need to have a job and pay something to contribute toward the household bills. If you feel that guilty taking the money then squirrel it away for your child once they are ready to move out or for tuition if they change their mind. But I would want to send the message that you can't just live it up without any responsibility if you are an adult in the real world. That's just not how it works and it's better to learn that early on.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• As long as they are in school and receiving good grades. Yes. Stop going to school....grades drop...start charging rent =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would. Even if it is just $15 a month . . . it is important for both you child, and you, that he start being responsible.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• no b/c even if they didn't go to college they would have to work and pay rent somewhere else so why not teach them a little responsibility by making then pay a couple hundred in rent
    serenitysmom20

Answer by serenitysmom20 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would not. My dad gave his kids a choice at 16. Go to work and pay rent for full freedom, or continue to live by his rules and do chores daily rent free.
    3 out of the 4 of us chose to go to work and pay rent. It was incredibly hard and I couldn't believe the easy lives my friends had. But they didn't have the freedom I had and when they turned 18 they had no idea what life was really like.
    I would let them stay rent free, as long as they were working towards something better.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No my kids would be paying me but we have already made it clear to our kids that unless they are in college they are outta here the day they turn 20. Once you become an adult, its not up to me to support you financially any longer.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 3:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I really think it depends on the situation because everyone is different. I went to a community college and lived at home. I didn't pay rent when I was in school. Right after school I moved out and circumstances be what they were I ended up back home and pregnant. My parents didn't charge me rent even though I was working. So it would really depend. If they are working and helping around the house, I might let them stay for a little while rent free.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• As long as they are in school they are allowed to live rent free. If they work then they pay rent.
    mommyof11050307

Answer by mommyof11050307 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't think I could charge my kids rent at any age.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I could never charge my kids rent. Maybe if they came back at 30. But while in school? No way.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011