Are warnings going a bit to far?(please read before answering)

Let me start be saying that yes, I know that there are kids out there that have severe allergic reactions. I am not complaining in any way about them or their parents. What I am questioning is that we got DS a kids meal with a bottle of milk. On the back of the bottle was an allergy warning that the bottle contained milk. The warning was in big red letters. Warning was not cows milk, but just milk.  Milk was the only ingredient. Now if you know that your child is allergic to milk, would you get it in the first place. And secondly do we really need a warning that a bottle of 100% cow's milk contains milk? Are there really people out there that would get a child allergic to milk a bottle of milk to drink?  Does a cup of coffee, not iced coffed but coffee, really need a hot warning on it?  Isn't cup or mug of coffee supposed to be hot? Or soup, or tea, etc.

nova.mommy

Asked by nova.mommy at 3:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I haven't seen the milk warning, but the warning about coffee being hot stems from the lawsuit McDonald's faced a while back. A woman wasn't simply burned by hot coffee, she suffered third degree burns. Drinks should never be that hot. It's just McD's trying to cover their asses.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I've wondered about the stupidity of warnings myself...and realized, they do it because some idiot (s) made them....some dummy got their lactose intolerant child thing of milk and when the child got sick, they sued....happens all the time...the warnings that say don't let your child play in the dryer...because somebody let their kid play in the dryer....the idiocy of some people....{sigh}
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't think its the labels that are going too far and think its the people coming up with stupid lawsuits and winning thats going too far..causing companies to panic and out these types of "idiot proof" labeling/warnings on them,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Just like the coffee cup at McDonalds says that its hot. Well duh! But because some idiot burned her crotch with it, they HAVE to post such nonsense.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think the milk thing is insane! But they are doing it to appease their insurance carriers as well as prevent law suits... if there is no warning, someone will sue lol.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It is called CYA or (Cover Your A**). Large companies have to do it nowadays to prevent lawsuits.

It is unfotunate because a lot of business decisions, nowadays, are based on liability and not common sense.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Oh, things have definitely gone too far. It's ridiculous. But people have become sue happy and want to get rich without working for it...I'm sure people go out and look for things that do not have warnings, so the companies have to counter-act that by putting those stupid warnings all over the place.

I'm a person of common sense and I have no desire to be sue-happy. I know that if I order a coffee, it's going to be hot. I know that if I have milk, it's going to be milk. Or if I buy a jar of peanut butter, there will be peanuts in there. If you don't warn me about it, I'm not going to sue you. But there are stupid/senseless/psycho people out there that will.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'm guessing there's some FDA guidelines that are telling food companies to put warning labels on any food product containing soy, nuts, milk, etc. So even though it is overly obvious, milk cartons get included by default.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO COVER THEM SELF, BECAUSE TO MANY LAWSUIT ARE GOING ON KNOW.
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 4:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree with anng, it's because of the FDA guidelines that foods with the top eight allergens have to post it on their labels. It does seem obvious though that the bottle of milk contains milk. I have a daughter with several food allergies and I do appreciate the labeling since most foods these days have many ingredients and half of them you can't pronounce let alone know what they are made up of, but it seems a bit redundant on the milk carton.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011