Is your 8 YEAR OLD still in a booster seat (in the car)?

HeathersBabies

Asked by HeathersBabies at 12:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, we have two eight year olds and both are on the small side. I'll probably keep them in boosters past age 12 when the height/weight restrictions cease to apply for their own safety.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Yes, she's still too small to sit in the car without one.
    Anonymous

• My ds is 7 and a half and still in a booster. And will be for a while. He is only 38 lbs and tiny.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Not my 8yr old but my 6 and 3 year olds are
    Anonymous

• This is good to hear. My son will be 8, tomorrow. He is 50 inches (4' 2") and 55 lbs. I am still going to keep him in the booster but I was wondering if I was the only one...LOL!!
    HeathersBabies

Answer by HeathersBabies at 12:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have a 6 year old and a 7 year old and both are in normal seats, in CA the age requirement is until their 6th birthday. When I was a kid we weren't in booster seat at 6, 7, 8, 9, up 10 12, I don't get it. I'm alive and so are all the kids I grew up with.
    NicoleMarie02

Answer by NicoleMarie02 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Nicole - In California, it is not only an age requirement, but weight as well, so if I were you I would make sure that your babies weigh enough to be sitting on their own in the car. Its not about what your parents did when we were kids, its about keeping YOUR kids safe, now. My parents didn't use a car seat at all....I am still alive....does that mean that I shouldn't use one for my daughter?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Here, it is the law unless the child is at least 4'9"
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have my 7 year old still in a booster, just because he's still a bit on the small side. I'll probably let him out of it for good once he's 8. State law here says once they hit 5, they don't have to be in a booster, but I prefer it for them. I let it slide every once in a while, but most of the time, they're in the boosters. (Oh, I forgot to add, my daughter is 5 1/2 now.)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 6:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My daughter is only three and will be in a booster until she reaches the weight maximum on the carseat(if it exceeds the weight and height maximum of the law). I'm already looking at one that harnesses(the five point harness) up to 80 lbs. So, not only will she be in a booster, it'll be pretty much a carseat.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 6:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008