Older Children living at home

When your children grow up and are not ready to move out on their own or have a situation that has bought them back home, will you charge them to eat the food, you were once paying for yourself to feed them?

And if they are coming back home they are coming alone, not bringing a spouse and/or children.

I remember this happening in my family with some of my siblings but my parents never charged them to eat at home, but did expect them to work hard on saving to move on back out and better their lives.

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I lived with my mom for over 4 years after my DH passed away. I paid her half of rent, bills, and groceries. We were equal partners. I would never expect my mother to support me fully when I'm an adult. If a situation were to come up with my own children in the future where they needed help and wanted to move back home, I would expect the same sort of agreement.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My older 2 have both moved home, one with an SO and her kids, one is single and by himself. I fed them all and didnt expect anything from them.

Answer by gemgem at 4:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Our adult son who has the basement apartment in our house buys his own groceries and feeds himself. He also buys his shoes, clothes and medicines. We are glad to offer him a place to stay and transportation now and then when he cannot take the city bus.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 8:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011