I am a SAHM and I nanny a little girl 3x a week. Food Question. Please read the detailed info.

The little girl is only 9m old and not even crawling. her mom INSISTS I give her Gerber Graduate Toddler meals. She just started stage 3 foods 1 week ago. The mom says her ped said it was ok to give her table food but I would think she meant to mush it up first but this food I am giving her is NOT mushed at all. Am I wrong in being concerned that this baby is eating foods that are not right for her yet???

yenca615

Asked by yenca615 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Food & Drink

• It isn't your call. What mom says goes. She may be capable of eating it. Try and see.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Just mush it, she's not gonna care. Tell her your not comfortable feeding her a choking hazard. I can't see a 9mos old eating straight up solid food.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My kids were on finger foods at that age. PP is right, it's mom's call.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• well i wouldn't exactly mush it all up...if she has alot of teeth and can chew just fine, and her pedi says it's fine, then i'd say it's ok. i wouldn't do that with my kids, since i don't really like giving table food to my kids until they are really close to age 1, but every parent is different
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• if its what I think you are talking about those little Gerber tv dinners. then no shes not able to eat them like they are, they are made for toddlers, I feed them to my daughter that is 10m but I always mash everything up
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• She has 2 bottom teeth as of now. I have been mushing it all up so it is able to go in her mouth. Some of the pieces of meat in these meals are pretty large and I try to make them as small as I can and I am just afraid she will choke on them no matter how small they are. I agree it is her choice but I just think 9m is a little young. I have 2 boys, 6yr and 19m who didn't start these until they were at least a year old. But like I said. maybe I am paranoid or something.
    yenca615

Answer by yenca615 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• The hell it isnt your call-the lovely little thing called liability could come back to bite you. Express your concerns and if things dont work out-you can mush it up-you are still giving it to her-so it works out-but you dont have the choking liability as you would if you didnt much it up!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• In addition-I don't think it is appropriate at all for a 9 month old to be eating those "advanced" meals without hardly any teeth!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I am a daycare provider and I know that if anything should happen to her, regardless that it was her mothers insistancy making you feed her that stuff, it will be your fault. My 18 month old neice has tons of teeth but the state only allows me to feed her cetain things until she turns 2! Maybe it's just Oregon laws. But I think that if she isn't ready for it then don't take any chances. Talk to her mom and tell her that you don't feel comfortable.
    Also, I believe that the packaging on those have a recommended age group.
    Good Luck!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 3:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well I voiced my concerns to the mom today and said I was concerned not because the baby doesn't seem to handle it well (she has some issues with the diced fruit as it is harder than the veggies to mush and the meat i have to pretty much pulverize in order for her to eat it already) I just don't think she is ready for it. I mean if anything happens to this little one it is on MY hands. Yes I am CPR and all that lovely stuff certified but that don't mean jack if something happens to her. I keep praying that I pulverize the food enough before she gets it to make it not as bad. The one thing that really upset me today when talking to the mom was that the mom said that all her co-workers babies that are her dd age are eating the same type of food if not more table food than her dd. She even called her ped again (at my insistence) and said that the ped said it was ok....
    yenca615

Answer by yenca615 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008