I'm not sure what to do...

My LO turned 2 in Sept. and she is going potty on the potty @ home, but I take her to day school twice a wk and she will pee/ poop at school in her panties. I'm not sure what to think or do..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• Put her in pullups. She is not ready to go in an environment that is unfamiliar to her. She is 2 for crying out loud.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree with SusieD250 on the unfamiliar envirionment thing but she didn't have to add the cruel remark of she's two for crying out loud and I'm sorry that she did but yeah she is just probably not ready to use the potty in a strange place without you there by her side so get her some pull ups and give her a bit of time and just keep on praising her when she uses the potty at home.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 12:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Hey, she's the one that wants to pee in thepotty.. I'm not forcing it..lol But Thanks.. A few of my friends have said don't do pull ups and to be honest, they are pretty expensive. I just didn't know if it would confuse her to be in diapers in public and panties at home..
    Anonymous

• I think it will confuse her to do both. We refuse to use pullups anyways so we don't confuse our daughter but then again she's 2 1/2 and isn't even potty trained for at home. She will pee on the potty once in a while but that's it.

Anonymous

• I am 100% against pull ups. I have potty trained hundreds of children (used to be in child care) and pull ups are expensive for one and just dont work. She will learn to hate the wet/poop feeling but I agree, she is in an unfamiliar environment. Just keep praising her for when she does go and have her teachers do the same. Side note: if her teachers are getting mad at her for accidents they are not helping and only setting her back. Kids just need to be told "its okay, it is just an accident. We will try to make it to the potty chair next time." So I hope they are supportive. You are doing the right thing having her in underware and letting her make that choice on her own instead of forcing it. It will just take time, but one day it will just click in her head. Keep up the good work! I like your style!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• SusieD250-I think your little comment about her being "two for crying out loud" is BS! My duaghter was potty trained by 18 months! So that could have everything or absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Yes, she may feel more afraid to go in that environment.

You may need to talk with the staff and she if they can take her potty more often so that there is less of a chance of her having an accident.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'd try the pull-ups on those two days. She can still use the potty, but if she has an accident she won't be a mess (or risk the embarassment).

She just may need more time to be able to potty elsewhere. I remember taking my niece to her brother's school one day (I think she was 4) and she FREAKED at the idea of having to use the "public toilet". I think they're kinda scary sometimes, too! ;)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008