Call him on it?

OK-a little backstory first- two weeks ago my 14 yr old son got punched in the eye and samcked upside the head by a girl at school during lunch. He put out his foot to keep her away and they considered it as him kicking her so they were both suspended then it was over. Monday of last week- still sporting a black eye, our dog had to be put down- he has been a part of the family since my son was 3 and he took it REALLY hard. Then on Thursday my son came home from school and pulled out his jacket and told me to look at what someone had done to it- it had all sorts of obscene things on it as well as KKK and kick me...he wanted us to throw it away immediately.

cont...

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 4:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would call him out on his lie, but in a gentle way. Like say Oh we say the video tapes from your school and guess what we saw? Or something like that. I would also have him do odd jobs around the house or go get a job (depending on age) to buy a new jacket, and I would be talking with the other kids parents about this too-just to make sure they know what went on and what their kids did, whether it be by permission or not that is still not right to do to someone else jacket.
    CJessB1007

Answer by CJessB1007 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• cont...
    We convinced him that the vice principal needed to know about it and we were going to keep it just in case he wanted it for the police or to actually see it for himself. My son told us that he feels no one (at the school) cares about the issues he's had and insisted he try to take care of it himself. SO, today he got ready for school and told us to go ahead and go talk to them about it- so we did. I jsut recieved a phone call telling me that they pulled up the tape and the story my son gave about someone taking it wehn he fell asleep at lunch and none of his "friends" seeing it happen is a lie. Apparently, he was awake- and knew they were writing on it-because he was wearing it.
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The question is this: should we call him out on the lie?
    We think he knew they were writing on it- but didn't know WHAT they were writing until he took it off and saw it- then was too embarrassed to admit that he let them do it

*sigh*
    what would you do?
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Not only would I call him on his lie, I'd also make the other kids parents chip in for a new jacket.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 5:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i would call him out on it and tell him i'm never buying him another jacket again. that from now on he can do work around the house to earn money to buy his own jacket and i will be making sure that is what the money goes to
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011