Ok for reals I am sick of this shit!

Ok it seem that 3 out of 5 time I go out, some other mother tells me that I am doing it wrong and continues to inform me of how to be a better mom. The things I supposedly do wrong are, have raspberry blowing contests, if I told my child to not do something and they do it anyways and get hurt I don't console. Oh that one that gets me, I have piercings and tats, thats me setting a bad example and setting my kids up for a rebellious attitude and for them to be outsiders. There are alot more, but does anyone else have this issue, I know we've all been approached at one time or another with some stranger telling us how to raise our kids, I do believe it has to do with the fact that I live in a military community. But idk...I'm just frustrated lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know where any of you live but nobody has ever told me how to raise my child (except my mom). I'd just smile and ignore them.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• actually, no stranger has ever approached me about how i behave with my kids. how would a stranger know how i raise my son? if your child is healthy, happy, and progressing as is age-appropriate, don't worry about what anyone says to you about your parenting, stranger OR not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Forget them, Girl! Who cares what they think ? Who are they to you ? NO ONE! They are miserable know it alls and rude people. I can't stand people that just have to state their opinion like it truly means something. Like everyone has to hear their opinion bc its just so f*cking great & important. Next time, I'd tell that "super mom" to raise her own child and you will do the same!
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Seriously?? just random strangers are telling you this?? My son is 3-1/2 and I have yet to have to deal with that from anyone.. so sorry.. that's terrible!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No one has told me how to raise my kids either, besides my mil. Next time someone approaches you, I'd tell them that I'd rather my kid grow up like me, then a disrespectful one like her.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I am short, and fairly young (had DD at 22) and look even younger, and I have tatts, and I have heard a few comments here and there, and I know I get stares. Last year someone even asked DD if she was having fun out for the day with her big sister, DD stared at her blankly and she goes "babysitter?" Nope! Don't let people bother you...There are lots of tattooed moms, perhaps the culture where you're at is a bit more traditional ? or however I should word it. When DD was an infant was the only time I got a direct and rude comment, I was using my WIC vouchers, and the old prude behind me said, and this is why babies shouldn't have babies...I was 22, just graduated college, and looking for a real job and turned around and told her so, then burst into tears and left. If someone is rude to you, I would use a direct/witty way to put them back in their place, otherwise it's their problem
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 5:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I do want to add that no strangers have walked up to me before and told me how to raise my son. Its probably where you live. The military moms might not have anything better to do with their time! Ignore them, Hun. Their opinions don't mean shit.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• WOW next time anyone says anything to you about any of that, look at them and say "and waht kind of example are you setting by being sucha rude bitch?" you raise youre children the way you want. and who are they to tell you how to dress? i have tattoos and piercings so i must be a bad mom too. im over 18 (by a few ;years) and i can make my own choices. and i will allow myc hildren to do the same. my 4 year ols chooses to wear his pants backwards most of the time, so what hes not hurting anyone so i let him. dont let ignorant people piss you off or stress you. or you can play nice and say "thanks for your concern i wish you had been my mom to show me how to be a better person is there anything else youd like to stick your nose in before i go about my life"
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I, too, never had anyone approach me and tell me how to raise my children. I had a guy one time tell me "Way to Go", when my daughter cried as Ballet. I took her back in and told her if she tried to follow me out again, we would NEVER come back to Ballet again. She sat down and never disobeyed again. The guy, apparently, was impressed by my techniques! LOL! Now, on the other hand, are you following through with your discipline. You say, if the child disobeys and gets hurt, you don't console. But, you do not say if there are consequences. If you are not following through, maybe perhaps, they are noticing that. Never let the child get the best of you... EVER. Sorry, hope you don't think I was telling you how to raise your child... But, it's just a thought....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have lived in a military community for years and have had no one offer up advice as to how to raise my little ones. I don't really think it is related to where you live. Just nosy people that you seem to encounter.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011