Short-term disability- doctor unwilling to sign out of work?

I am 34 weeks pregnant and work in a fast paced, highly physical job. I have been approved for short term disability and have been on light duty since February. My job is very unpredictable and I am afraid something could fall and hit me in the stomach, plus I am going up and down ladders all day.

I spoke with my disability caseworker and asked her what I would need to be removed from work, she told me all I need is a note from my doctor stating that I am no longer at work.

I called my midwife and spoke to a nurse who told me they couldn't sign me out because I have no complications, even though my midwife told me to simply call and tell them what I needed to no longer be at work. Any advice or anyone else have problems getting a doctor to sign them off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Can your work put you at a desk job? Most doctors are unwilling unless your having any problems.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• why are you still going up and down ladders all day???
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• can you just take a leave or do you really need the money?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Did you explain that you were on ladders? I would have my midwife call them herself,, is this your regular doctor? Do you have a pediatrician lined up for your new babyt? I am amazed they would even expect you to continue.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Talk to your Dr directly the nurse may not realize all the hazards of your particular job, to me none of it sound like someone in your condition should be doing at this time. At that stage in my pregnancy I could barely walk to the post office without tripping over my own feet. Good luck

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well, they've given me lifting restrictions and a note saying to "avoid" ladders- we have no desk jobs. I do have a pediatrician lined up for my baby. By the time I come home my back hurts and I'm ready for a nap. There is no sympathy at my workplace. I hate to seem like a hypochondriac or a weakling, but it's just gotten to the point I'm totally uncomfortable. I can't afford to just leave work, and with the short term disability I'm guaranteed 80% of my pay, which is a reduction I can afford. I was told they would return my call after speaking with the midwife- which was at 1 PM today, and still have not received a call.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011