Do you think a hooded cat box would help????

I have a calico that is 2 1/2 yrs and she is a BIG girl. She can't keep her rump in the box! I am afraid she won't fit through a cat box with the cover though. I lay newspaper under and around the litter boxes to catch everything but I am really getting tired of it. She backs her feet right up to the edge before she goes. She didn't always do this. It just seems like the past year since she gained more weight. She is about 15 lbs. I just have no more ideas other than a hooded box!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Nope, mine just stuck his butt out the doors anyway. And he kicked the littler out regardless. Do you have the biggest box available? They also have ones that look like igloos, the cats have to go in and around, so they cants stick their butts out and be in the litter at the same time,
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/grd/2342105065.html

I wouldn't buy it off here, they just had really good pictures....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Young animals (Just like children) do regress at some points, even after being trained for a while. The simplest things can send them straight back and they "Forget" how to do what they knew. Helping them remember by showing them the technique again may help curve them back onto the right track.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It probably will help. They do make BIG litter boxes for fat cats.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My neighbors are using a plastic storage box as a litter box. It is much larger and taller on the sides than a litter box. It is the kind of box that would have come with a lid, for clothing storage, etc.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 8:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• A hooded box will help if she will use it. And she can fit in them if you get a large one I had a 30lb cat that was a brick house. That boy was nothing but muscle. If he can fit in a hooded box she can.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Get yourself one of those self cleaning ones, they are awesome and a bit bigger than the regular ones, pricey but well worth the money.

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Perhaps
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have an anti-tracking mat that I purchased in a pet store, under a large litter box (no hood). It does minimize the mess. I also mix litter and crystals-better for both odor and tracking control.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i have a big kitty and the hood seems to only make it worse. we dont even put it on anymore.
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My parents have a black, long haired cat that doesn't like getting his paws in the kitty litter. He also will NOT use the litter if it needs to be cleaned out. (even if it's barely been used that day) For the longest time when they first got him he would stand on the edge of the box and go to the bathroom down the side of the box. Inevitably getting it on the floor. Eventually they brought him in when their other cat (They are siblings) was using the bathroom to show him how to properly use the bathroom. That helped along with keeping it as clean as possible everyday.

Now, if you don't have another cat then you could try using different litter, or you could try showing the cat by placing him in the center of the box how to use the litter properly. It may also be that she's self conscience (Yes animals do get self conscience) and that is why she is changing her bathroom habits. I do suggest getting her on a vet approved diet.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011