Why is the Easter Eggs connected to this Holiday?

I just wanna know how this started. This is not related at all. I understand it's fun for the kids but still annoys me a little. When Jesus rose no one said "Hide the eggs!!" LOL

MommaErp

Asked by MommaErp at 5:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• maybe he did, maybe he didn't...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It's a Pagan symbol of fertility (which pre-dates Christianity)  to celebrate the return of Spring. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

•  I understand it's fun for the kids but still annoys me a little. When Jesus rose no one said "Hide the eggs!!"

Maybe the Pagans are a little annoyed that their holiday is full of Jesus stuff.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It actually relates to the germanic pagan holiday of Ostara in which the spring eggs represented rebirth of the earth and the goddess Eostre left eggs fro children which was later incorporated into Christianity during the 6th and 7th centuries as it spread across Europe.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Hmmmm interesting.....

Well that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up because when I asked everyone at church yesterday no one knew.

MommaErp

Comment by MommaErp (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Ok so what about the Easter Bunny & the eggs??????
    MommaErp

Comment by MommaErp (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• fertility
    who reproduces better than a rabbit!?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Since Easter was adapted from Pagan holidays like most other Christian holidays the egss came from fertility and Spring being the return to fertility for the earth. Bunnies also represent fertility. It all goes back to Pagan roots. There are a bunch of Christmas traditions that have Pagan roots too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• What everyone said ^ about the pagan celebrations, spring, Ostara, etc. Also, I've heard it was common for people to give up eggs for Lent and so they would eat them at Easter. Plus, just having less eggs and food in general in the winter, eggs would be available in spring, as well as symbolizing new life.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes, Easter is just another holiday pushed in with the Christian belief in order to convert. Some argue this is not true while others believe it so. History shows it is and so on.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011