I figured out what I hate about my job...FINALLY! *VENT*

So I make good money, I have decent hours and the freedom to chat on cafemom apparently too...but I come to work every day dreading it! Why? I can't figure it out. My bosses are rude, but aren't all in same way? So I figured it out today. They are robots! I work with only 4 other people and while 2 are nice, they are in their own dept and we don't interact as much as I'd like. But my 2 bosses are so robotic with work and nothing else that it is depressing me. There is no conversation, there are no smiles, there is no happiness here at all. Birthdays are only celebrated because I bake a cake and make everyone at least acknowledge the person's special day. Even then, people take the cake and go right back to their offices. This place is like a morgue or something. I am so happy and bubbly by nature and these people are bringing me down everyday!

I have my side business, but it's still so new. So I can't quit yet. But I am definitely considering looking elsewhere. This is just too stressful. I'm not the "keep my head down" type. I need to interact with people other than just one line questions, one word answers and then a grunt in recognition of the problem being solved.

Even the movie "Office Space" was more lively than this place!

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• sometimes the atmosphere just isn't a good fit for everyone. and fyi, not all bosses are that way. i loved mine like a best friend or brother.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I very much regret quitting my last job. My boss was insanely bubbly (in a good way), my co-workers were easy to work with. I gave and got advice as needed. I really felt like a valued member of the team. Why am I not there anymore? We moved. And, a minimum wage paying job, working 4 hours a week was not enough justification for the 30+ minute commute one way to get there from my new place.

But I quit on good terms and if I'm ever back down in that area that will be the FIRST place I go looking for (re)employment.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• When I was working in an office, I never had time for optional things like CafeMom. Why not just lose yourself in your work--socializing is for after hours.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 7:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It sounds like you should get your jobsearch in high gear!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well coffeewriter...that is sort of the problem. Everyone around me is SO overly consumed with work that they have become robots. That is what I was venting about. So I certainly don't want to become just like them. I have plenty to do during the day and I am damn good at what I do, but since I have no real "humans" to talk to at work, I end up coming to cafemom to talk to someone that isn't a robot.
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You celebrate birthdays?! LOL you’d hate it here. We used to send a card around for everyone’s birthday but that stopped a couple years ago after the woman responsible for buying the cards, with her own money and no reimbursement, got sick of doing it. Especially after NO ONE bothered to get her a card or even say happy birthday on her birthday! (BTW, that woman is me!)

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Some places are like that - I guess don't expect the job to fulfill any social aspect, it is just a job.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2011