How do you handle potty training regression?

She JUST FINALLY got the hang of it and was doing AWESOME for about a month, now it seems she's just fine going in her pants. She did tell me ONE TIME this morning she had to go poop, and she went, but since about 4 days ago it's just constant accidents. I ask her all the time if she needs to go, always with a "No" in response.
It just blows me away because we were doing SO WELL, the only complication was her learning to take her undies down & pull them up. I was nursing her sister the other day and she told me she had to go pee pee and I told her to go in the bathroom and try to get her undies down & I'd be in there in a second, once I pulled baby off and got her safely under her play gym thing. When I got in the bathroom my little girl #1 - was in the dark because I forgot to keep the light on... #2 - pulled her undies off ALL BY HERSELF, #3 - got up on the toilet seat WITHOUT her stool, #4 - propped her little self up WITHOUT her baby seat to keep her from "falling in", and #5 - not only did she go pee, she went POOP too!! So I KNOW SHE CAN DO THIS!! It made me sad to find her in the dark like that, and to have done all that by herself in like 30 seconds. So there's NO REASON she needs to be looking me RIGHT IN THE EYE and just peeing all over my floor.
I had her in pull ups at night and when we went to the store only, and now she's back to wearing them all day too because I'm sick of cleaning up accidents. It seems she JUST DOESN'T CARE. What do I do? She will be 3 next month.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have her start cleaning up her own messes. Also set up a calendar with stickers and if she can go ALL DAY (forget about nights right now) she can get a special treat of her choosing. This worked wonders for my son. We lived near a ferry terminus and within walking distance of the other side was a little ice cream shop that he liked going to.

We set ours up so that if he could go 10 days with no accidents he'd get to go on that ferry ride for some ice cream. He made it 3 days in a row, then 7, then 9, then got his ice cream. After going 7 days accident free HE wanted to add in the nights too. We told him he could for fun, but it wouldn't count towards/against his ice cream.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• :) Thanks... Right now we are doing the calendar thing, and I said after 10 stickers she can get a present. But as of now it's only if she goes on the potty at all. Now that she's doing so well(-ish) I will tell her if she can go ALL DAY without accidents she'll get stickers, like you're doing. Good call.
    I think ultimately she just wanted more attention from mom. The past couple of days I've devoted to her, letting chores go by the wayside in favor of chasing her around the house all day playing "monster" or "pirates" or whatever. She just LOVES to be chased. :) I've noticed after that she's back on track with going on the potty. But I'm still gonna switch to "accident-free all day" stickers.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2011