Can progesterone supplements make you go overdue?

I have been on progesterone IM since 12 weeks of pregnancy. My levels were found low at that time and at around 27 weeks GA my doc took me off the progesterone completely. I had been on 200mg 2x/wk + vag. suppositories and was supposed to be taken off slowly, so when I consulted my midwife who is also knowledgeable in progesterone supplementation she recommended that I continue it and checking my levels.

Now - the question is - does anyone know if being on progesterone supplementation can actually cause you to go past your due date? I want to discontinue the progesterone at 34 weeks but my midwife wants me to stay on until 36. I am a first time mom, so the tendency would be to go overdue anyway, and the last mom I know of that was on progesterone until 36 weeks went almost to 42 weeks and had to try natural induction remedies to get her baby out and she was a second time mom!

Basically - I really want to lessen my risk factors for going overdue.

Sorry. Long question. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

midwifejenny

Asked by midwifejenny at 5:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No I was on the supplement from 5 weeks to 36 weeks and only went two days past due on one pregnancy out of four. The last two babies I had were early.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011