Almost a teen?

They say teens are mouthy, can be disrespectful at times, you argu with them and they yell at you, Then why is it that my son is 12 and thinks he's 30. I say no, and he yells at me. Everything always ends up in him yelling at me. I do have three younger kids and I do not want them doing what he does. I am the step mom, but I don't think that matters. I have been mom since he was two, and bio mom never calls or sees him. Some people might say that it's because I'm only the step mom, but NO he does this to my hubby too. Hubby's the type to yell louder til that makes him mad then he asks me to talk to him. We don't hit ever, that has never been an option. I am against it. A parent shouldn't need to hit their kids and especial not theirs, so I must deal another way before he is a teen and it can get worse. I do beleave in tough love so if my ss or my dd got mad enough to hit me or their dad, I would send them to juvenile hall but it would be hard because I love them so much.

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I've got kids aged 20, 17, 16 and 13 and not one of them has ever been mouthy or yelled at me, ever. I do not believe in hitting or yelling at them either. I feel that if you treat a child with respect, they learn to respect you. The best way to resolve problems is to see things from his perspective before it gets to a yelling match. What does he want, and more importantly WHY. Or is it something you want? And why? Look into the cause of the problem and discuss it. Try to sort it out like two civilized human beings. No yelling. No hitting. Just open honest communication: what do you want, what does he want, how can the differences be addressed so it is fair and everyone is happy.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Id take his ipod away, computer, tv, xbox, anything and everything. Cellphone......
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My 11 year old son like to try to get loud with me at times..when he acts like that I end the conversation but telling him I am done talking with him right now and when his tone of voice changes I will be more than happy to speak to him, then I tell him to go to his room until he is ready to do that.I walk away and refuse to further argue about it. I tell him all the time, he will NEVE EVER get his way with me by yelling. I am his mother, and I deserve and demand respect.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Wow, I never really noticed my own fault, because you are absolutely right. When he yells at me I yell back. If I just talked to him like I wish he was to me then maybe he will see by example. That is also something that I can use with my younger kids before they start doing the same has my ss. Thanks so much Judimary, seeing my own fault can help me solve a problem we have been having with him.
    Kimberly71682

Comment by Kimberly71682 (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• O.k first off no It's not. He just recently started this behavior, and there is blame but it isn't on me. All I did is took care of him, tought him right from wrong, and loved him like he is mine. I never let him down or abandon him. He's been let down a lot but never by me. I'm just an easy target to get mad at because I'm a full time sahm mom to my kids. I make mistakes but letting my kids down has never been one of them.
    Kimberly71682

Comment by Kimberly71682 (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• He does it because that's how you raised him. Don't let him do it and he wont
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011