Finding balance.

I will be starting college in August. I am also married with 4 children. I am really looking forward to this. I am worried about my DH tho. He has been a stay at home dad for the past 3 years and now he has to go get a job and let me lean on him.
So my question how do you moms that go to school handle going to school, doing the homework, and taking care of the family? DH fully supports me on this and says that he will help, but he can't seem to do anything without me. How do I get him to stand on his own two feet and do things without me?

firepony

Asked by firepony at 6:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• You simply follow through with your plans. He gets a job; you go back to school. You're both adults. If he falters along the way, it's up to him to pick himself up and correct it. You can offer suggestions, but you can't do it for him. I was a stay-at-home mom with 4 kids 30 years ago. I always wanted to become a teacher. I would have loved to go back to school, but I never got the encouragement nor support. I regret that I didn't put my foot down and do it anyway. However, I loved staying home with my kids, but when an offer that I couldn't refuse to become a Teaching Assistant came up when my youngest and only daughter was 18 months old, I took it. In the end, it all worked out. It takes a lot of work and planning, but you can find the balance in your life that you'll need. Good luck!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2011