Is DS a normal boy

My DS (4 years old) is always saying that he is hungry, even right after a big meal or after he eats. I was just wondering if this is normal boy behavior, because when we are out and about and DS says that he is hungry (repeatedly) I get these looks and comments that I don't feed my kid or I'm starving him. I know that I am not, he is growing fine (42 lbs, and 41.5 inches tall) and I tell the people that make snide comments like I mentioned above that he is a growing boy and his doctor says he is fine. Anyway, so is it normal for a 4 year old boy to be constantly hungry?

CJessB1007

Asked by CJessB1007 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe he is going through a growth spurt? As long as his weight is normal and the doctor has checked him out and all is well..I wouldnt worry about it. As for other people giving you looks/comments about it..I wouldnt give it a second thought.Ignore them..thats just silly to look down on someone becaue thier kid says they are hungry. My son says it all the time. Maybe if your out bring a ziploc baggie with some healthy snacks in it to give to him for when he is hungry on the go.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't be too worried, but you need to keep an eye on how much he eats and how often. Don't want obesity becoming a problem. On the other hand, if he has some sort of intestinal parasite, that would make him hungry all the time without him gaining weight. I'd treat him presumptively with combantrin or other gentle worming medicine, or get him checked. The problem with diagnosis is you need a stool sample (his poo) but since the treatment has no adverse side-effects, I'd just treat him. I treat my kids every few months, just to be on the safe side. Worms are very common in kids, and doesn't mean they are sick or have been unhygenic. It's just part of being a kid.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If he isn't overweight, and he isn't i wouldn't worry, my boys have always ate everything when they grow.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes, I used to watch a 4 yr old girl and when her mom would come to pick her up she would tell her I never fed her.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My sevan year old was like that and I just feed him all the time. Kept snacks in my purse. Big mistake, he never gained weight like some might thing, but when he started kindergarten he did the same to his teacher. I mean all the time. Instead of the teacher talking to me being public school she called C.P.S and they came to my house. House was very clean like I like it, fridge and freezer was full. They could not find one thing to take my four kids away for, because at the time I had missed an orientation at the school because I had to have an emergency C- section with my new baby. Talk about a shock, the report was my son was always hungry and the Orientation that any of us would have missed.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My husband is 5"11 weighs 160 and still has his times where he will always b hungry no matter what. And hes 26, totally normal just let him eat hes just going through a spurt. I have a 4 yr ols son and I always stay stocked on the foods he likes and when they get older it will only get worse, I know I hve a younger brother.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011