Cat parasites adult content

My cat just pooped and out came a long white or cream coloured thing, not segmented like a tapeworm, and not round like a roundworm or earthworm, but flat and smooth and with a distinct midline. It was about 6 or 7 inches long and maybe a little less than quarter inch wide. Any thoughts??   I've treated her with a broad-spectrum all-wormer now, but am curious to try to identify the offender...

judimary

Asked by judimary at 6:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Hi Judi. I didnt know you were in Australia! I'd love to visit your country! I dont know what brand of wormer they sell in the supermarkets there, but most supermarket products are not nearly as effective as what your vet would use, & some of them arent safe. I hope they werent the Hartz or Sargeants brands, as those brands of flea & wormer products have killed many a cat & dog. Just Google Hartz products feline (or canine) deaths, & you'll be shocked at what you read. Are Frontline Plus or Advantage topical flea treatments available to you there? If so, that's what I'd recommend. For deworming, there's Drontal; which is a pill, & there is also Profender. Profender comes in a pill form for dogs, & a topical (Between the shoulder blades) style for cats. It kills roundworms, hookworms, & tapeworms. These are available from your vet. It's best to always stick to products your vet sells; that way you know they're genuine & safe.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thats worms. Get the cat treated for worms, it's common in rescue cats and feral cats and in kittens. Left untreated it can kill the kitty.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thanks vbruno, I kinda figured it was an intestinal worm of some type. Any idea what kind would look like that?
    judimary

Comment by judimary (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It could be a round worm.Round worms are very common in cats and dogs.If you can take it to the vet for proper identification and treatment.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 8:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It sounds like it could be a round worm
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• How long ago did you deworm her, & what brand of broad spectrum dewormer did you use? Was it purchased at your vets? Did the dewormer specifically say it would kill roundworms, hookworms, & tapeworms? If you dewormed her within the past few days/week, you will see the dead parasites in her feces when she goes potty. If the worms are moving around, they arent dead & your dewormer did not work. Did you treat her for fleas previous to deworming her? Cats get tapeworms from ingesting even just 1 flea, so it's important to treat her for fleas before deworming her. You can do the flea treatment & deworming treatment, 2 weeks apart. It doesnt matter if your cat is an indoor cat when it comes to flea treating her; we (as well as company) can bring fleas into our homes on our shoes and/ clothing, as fleas reside in lawns etc. The weather is getting warmer now too, which is when fleas make an appearance outdoors.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thanks, RubyinPA. It didn't look like a tapeworm and we're very careful about fleas because our dog is severely allergic to them. And we are in Australia, so the weather is actually getting colder, but here fleas are a year-round issue. I will treat them (2 cats and dog) with the flea tablet and powder anyway, just to be safe. I will also check her "potty" for signs of life. The worming treatment was supermarket bought, but it did say roundworms hookworms and tapeworms. My daughter had treated the dog for worms just the day before I saw this from the cat.
    judimary

Comment by judimary (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thanks RubyinPA. :) We get one called "ExelPet" from the supermarket and I've never heard anything bad about it; even the vet says it's okay. There's a worming paste for the cats and a between the shoulder flea treatment for cats, as well as pills for dogs, flea/tick collars, flea shampoo and flea powder. Of couse the vet sells "better" (more expensive) worming and flea treatments, but the ExcelPet is fine. Frontline Plus is available from the vet. I don't know the other ones you name though.

I generally try to avoid the vet, as they seem to gouge you for everything possible once you walk in the door and we are not that well off. We're not disadvantaged, but we get by on a single income and have 6 kids, one of whom is away and Uni and we pay his rent as well as our own. We have 2 cats, a dog, a bird and fish, but the pets are secondary to the welfare of the kids. We take them to the vet only when they need it.
    judimary

Comment by judimary (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011