What are the circumstances that make people apply for Public Assistance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• My mother raised my sister and I on it. So when I became pregnant at 16, it was the only way I knew of taking care of my baby. I only used it for medical and WIC. I was working even before getting pregnant so I had money to take care of her. Like PP have said, it's hard to get out of the system. When it's there and your qualify for it, you use it. Even if you don't REALLY need it. For instance, my husband got a promotion at work and qualify for health insurance. Of course, we added myself and the kids on it. When I was telling my mom about the deductibles, she said I should just put the kids back on state medical. I wasn't complaining, I was just talking about things we have to pay in general. We qualify for a couple hundred a month in food stamps which we could possibly do without since we both work. But like I said, it's hard to get out of the system when you just get by and others pressure you to stay.
    Anonymous

• i filed for a little while after my husband left. i had no job no place to live and 2 kids. i received assistance for 2 months while i got a job and my own place to live. now were doing fine and assistance free. i didnt want to be on assistance but had no choice.
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• We applied because my DH was dx'd with leukemia and unable to work. I was unable to work due to being sick myself and having to be home to care for DH as well as a preemie that was born 1 month before his dx. We qualified for food stamps only.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Out of work, have children and no help from the absent parent, need medical assistance, housing, need help to get themselves motivated to a better life
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Lost a job and can't afford to feed thri family is hopefully why, but I also own apartments and watch many of our tenants raise children through the system and as soon as the children move out and have their own kids they are on it too without ever working or trying to find a job. Sad but true. My children currently get the state funded health insurance because I am unemployed and DH is self employed. We get no other assisstance though because we don't need it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I also lived in a neighborhood where everyone was on it and it wasn't embarrassing or taboo. Now I live in a more affluent neighborhood. So imagine how proud I was when I was able to tell the woman at the pediatrician's office how our insurance has changed to REAL insurance. That sense of pride will hopefully keep us from using it permanently.
    Anonymous