My 6yr old DD, needs extra help in reading..

My 6yr old DD, is in kindergarten and the oldest in her class. She knows all of her letters and letter sounds but still has a hard time with reading. She loses attention easily and when I try to get her to read a word, she'll look at the word and just blurt our random words that are no way near the same thing. I try to get her to slow down and sound out each letter individually but after she sounds out the letters, she just guesses what it says. For instance, the word got: g-o-t. She'll sound it out and then say, "tigar" Its so frusterating! And her teacher even says shes behind in school, but she still shows that she wants to learn. I feel bad that she is not comprehending. How do I know if she is disslexic? Anyone have a child with reading difficulty? What helps them overcome this? I am running out of patience..please help

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My second son, now 17, is severely dyslexic. He still struggles to read even simple texts, and his writing is very difficult to read as his spelling is atrocious. But he does well in high school, getting a mix of Bs and Cs even in difficult highly academic subjects. He does the hardest Math classes they offer and passes both. But he needs a reader and scribe for exams and has to work damn hard compared to his peers, in order to do well.

When he was in Primary school, the teachers just assumed he was a bit slow, and he was made to feel stupid. But before starting high school, we had him assessed by a psychologist. She tested his IQ as well above average (130) but his dyslexia she said is severe. It's a recognised learning disablitliy and the school is obliged to give him the assistance he needs to learn to the best of his ability.

I strongly suggest you get her tested before it becomes a self-esteem issue.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Does the library offer reading programs?
    My son did not have difficulty with reading but enjoyed a program called Paws to Read which our County libraries offer. Dogs are bought in and the children read as they wish to the dogs. They say this helps alot of children improve their reading if done consistently.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• my daughter had issues with reading in kindergarten and 1st grade. She was smart enough to get it she was just lazy and would say I don't know or random words trying to get you to tell her the answer. They put her in a reading intervention class at school were she got one on one attentionand by January she no longer needed the class. Just keep working with her and see if the school has a reading program.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Understanding and Recognizing Dyslexia

You can also google "how do i tell if my child is dyslexic" to get more information.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i use this website for my 4yr old whos now reading. It has helped a lot and is lots of fun.....www.starfall.com
    also try "bob"books i get them from our library and my 4yr old loves them
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 3:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Does your DDs school have a reading specialist? The teacher should at least be referring your DD to him/her for a screening.
    Anonymous