Women with Munchhausen bi proxy?

Do you think that women that have this disease and get charged for hurting their children should go to jail and sit there for the allotted time or do you think that they can get rehabilitated? Also do you think if they can not get rehabilitated do you think that the government should step in and keep them from having children so that they can not hurt or kill another child? What are your thoughts on this?

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know a woman that doesn't actually suffer from this disease but in order to have an excuse to call her ex husband when her son isn't there, she will give too much fruit juice or a lot of milk (child is lactose intolerant). Then when he gets sick she will call and let him know that the child is sick and then she will call to check on him after he goes home. She is non custodial and has had CPS called on her multiple times but there is no proof so the courts and the state cant or won't do anything. I think they should get jail time and I think this woman should get her child taken away from her.
    Anonymous

• They definatly should not be allowed to have/adopt any more kids ever. I dont know that people like that could ever fully recover and even though you have a disease chances are you know what you're doing is wrong....so yes they can sit in prison for all I care. UGH! This is one of the most scariest diseases to me:( Hope that is not offensive. I dont know how these women feel though so I cant relate.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Jail time if the perp mom knows what she has done is wrong, just like any other crime.

Rehabilitation if proven if the mother doesn't realize what she has done. But only receives her children when tested as fully recovered and continues medication, as well as the child being monitored for further abuse.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• jail for sure... I dont think that they should be able to have or be around any children once they have served their time....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Rehabilitation, and not allowed to have or keep any children they may bear later.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008