Am I the only one?

When I chose to marry my husband I took on the responsibility of being a step mother.. Just like he chose the responsibility of being a step father. We do not separate our kids in our home. I do not look at my SSs as being his responsibility. They are ours. I chose this life.
It seems like every time I read a post about Step parents they are being told to back off. Its not your responsibility. Isn't it tho? Didn't you choose to be a responsible party in when you married your DH, knowing he had children?
I will admit there are times I get mad and tell my DH that they are his boys he can take care of it. But we both know I don't mean it.
Am I the only one that sees a blended family as a family? I am a step mother but shouldn't the important part of that statement be the MOTHER part?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I completely agree with you!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• There is no blending here. We are a family unit but our kids have the benefit of having more than one family.
    I don't consider him a step parent nor do I feel like a step mom. I am guardian, protector, encourager, and shoulder regardless that he did not emerge from my womb.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree, but sometimes I'd prefer not to do everything.. I mean, taking care of my one year old is enough. I don't need to be constantly taking care of DHs son.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I wholeheartedly agree with the MOTHER part being the important part but does not always happen with the step mom. Im a step mom and have been for 7 yrs and I don't have a lot good to say at this point so im going to shut up for now.
    darter

Answer by darter at 6:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It depends on what the responsibility is that your talking about. And everyones situation is different and has its very own story and circumstances.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I tottally agree with you...though i am not in this situation i grew up in it... its hard to have seperate kids from diff parents because the parents seem to favor their biologicaly own children and tend to be harder on their step children
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 6:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would like take this opportunity to invite any moms who are step moms to pm me anytime, but be aware, Im blunt and not real happy with my choice in this matter.
    darter

Answer by darter at 6:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't have any step children but I completely agree with you. My husband belonged to a blended family and his mother and step-father always separated their kids and it didn't make for a good childhood for him, they were always favorites and those who got certain things and those who didn't so I applaud you.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I totally agree with you, I got with my so over 4 years ago when my dd was 11 months, straight from the start I made it clear he loves me he loves my dd and he never treats her like someone in the way, he has grown to be a wonderful dad and my dd always says she has 2 dads, he disiplines her like I would and loves her like she is his own. His family are amazing with her and refer to her has their granddaughter.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 6:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My family doesn't seperate m kids. All our kids look at like they got 2 moms and 2 dads. My parents accepted the boys right off same as my FIL.
    I understand that some circumstances are different. I am just talking about in general.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2011