My sister in law...

She is pregnant and still continues to smoke. She claims that since nothing happened to her other kids that it is fine even though her kids all have breathing problems now.

Should I say something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• what are you gonna say?? she knows what she is doing is harmful and doesn't care. she's in denial that her kids breathing issues came from her habit. sure, go ahead and tell you. at least you can say you tried.
    but other than that...not much you can do.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• if you did it wouldnt stop her, it would just make ye're relatonship worse. Its sad that she is smoking but its her body and child. what does your dh think of all this? Dont get involved, its her problem not yours
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 6:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• you could, but like the other answers, it wont do any good. shes going to do what she wants. smoking isnt illegal and theres nothing anyone can do. it very frustrating and sad. i hope this baby will be ok.
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes, I think you should say something, in a nice way. I know there are pamphlets you can find that talk about what could happen if you smoke while pregnant. Or maybe research on the internet and send whatever you find to her in her email. Say something like...I found this and thought maybe you would like to read it..or something like that.
    aleashia1982

Answer by aleashia1982 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would politely tell her that it's not good for her or the baby.    In some states she can possibly have the baby taken away if their are major issues.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I smoked during two pregnancies...you can say anything you want, to her but it probably won't do any good. Cigarettes are addicting and it's not easy just to wake up one day and quit, whether you are going to be a mother or not... She is a big girl and it's her decision what she does... I'm sure she gets enough flack from her doctor and all the nurses, the more you push her to quit the more she may smoke...Maybe (and I am in no way being bitchy) you should just step back and let her alone...the only way someone can break an addiction is to WANT to quit, and as long as she doesn't want to your hands are tied.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Maybe try to remind her that not only is smoking dangerous to her health it is also dangerous to all her children. Then hand her whatever pamphlets you've been able to find. She's in denial and she's just plain selfish.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• you could say something but like others said it wont do any good. i am a smoker but as soon as i found out i was pg with all 3 of my kids i quit, threw what smokes i had left away and made my husband smoke away from me. its not easy and i was bitchy the whole pegnacy cause i craved the nicotine so bad, and the withdrawal symptoms made me sick...to the point i threw up everything i ate.
    chances are her doctor knows that she smokes and has said something about it. cause the dr knew i smoked he went through the whole spiel of not smoking even after i told him i stopped cause of being pregnant. so if she isnt listening to her dr she wont listen to you. i think it selfish that she smoking while pregnant. i have a friend that smoked with all 6 of her kids and they all have major health problems that can be linked back to her smoking.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• you can only give your opinion, see my sister is pregnant with her first baby and she smokes , the other night i told her it was very wrong and that she needs to stop other wise it will affect her unborn baby. she kinda got mad but hey thats what sisters are for. so yes tell her how you feel.
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Nothing you say can help. I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant, but I smoke now. I keep it away from DD, and wash/sanitize like a freak. I know that it's not good, but at least it's not in direct contact with my daughter. This is a sucky situation, but like many of said...she's an adult, and smoking isn't illegal just because you're pregnant. I'm sorry =[
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011