How Many Here Have Their Own Business?

What type of business do you have and how long have you been at it? is it profitable? I have had my business since 2004 and do projects on and off since then while still working at a job, now am looking to at some point drop the job and do it full-time. I'm not quite ready to do that yet but getting very close to that point, it is a full business registered and licensed by the County and whatever I do make it gets reported to my taxes. The type of work I do is related to the work I do now on the job and I plan to take it to the next level. But for now I am doing both at the same time. I need venture capital and at this point, the work I do it is very sought after, its technology-related. I keep getting calls and e-mails to work for companies and I'm tired of doing that, one such offer is offering full telecommute, but I suspect I would still have to go into the office a lot and am not willing to do that. People are desperate for quality work, this last position that I just took let go a lot of people whose they were not up to the standards, so now I'm wondering if they're willing to contract with my company. Just wondering how your businesses are doing in this economy.

sweet11-12

Asked by sweet11-12 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I run a home based bakery, I have been working from home for over 10 years now (sometimes on and off). Business is picking up, over the past 2 years I have seen a pretty rapid growth. Hopefully, within the next 5 years I will be opening my own store front.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• A failed e-advertising business. I'm trying to start another, but the business plan fell apart when I road tested. Even the feasibility analysis looked good (on paper). Good thing that I didn't get a bank loan that I was planning. There was a huge waste of budge approval for a project that derived from my idea. Now I have to rethink my idea.
    :-S
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 7:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I moved here to Mexico ( Guadalajara) to open my own Medical Tourism Business, Since I know how to do medical billing for every specialty and worked as a Marketing director for several specialties in Medicine for over 13years. I thought this would be great ( major life change for sure) I miss Texas but this is a Major industry especially here. I represent my own network of board certified Surgeons in every specialty ( most are top surgeons) 1 world recognized and they are like a fraction of the price than the U.S.A. and Canada. I also own a Recovery Home where My patients stay and we offer the whole all inclusive deal...I love my Company and Obama made it easy for me : )
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It will be tricky to make the leap, I have been doing the self finance for a while, also glad I did not take out a loan. Do not want to be in debt when I do, and have all I need when I let go of the job world.  http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-You-Really-Need-A-Business-Plan-To-Start-A-Small-Business?&id=6205520    Lot's of ideas at this site.

sweet11-12

Comment by sweet11-12 (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have my own home based business!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:48 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I doubt that CafeMom has this information, but you can ask (hit the contact button at the bottom of any page)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My business is doing wonderful because of the economy. We offer services that include debt reduction/elimination, legal services, online shopping with cash back just for shopping, identity theft, and much much more, including offering a tax free retirement plan that beats any retirement plan I have ever seen. If you would like to take a look, message me and i will give you the information you need to make an informed decision on possibly working from home. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    RMott

Answer by RMott at 4:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• ? I'm a gift consultant for La Bella Baskets, absolutely love it and I do get paid every 2 weeks a check:-) If your interested in having a gift basket business p.m. for more info.:-) Ask me how you can start your own gift basket business for $1.97:-)
    After 7 days it's $19.95 a month! That's it! Yes my business is very profitable!!:-) Been doing this for a yr now:-)
    3 ways to make money:
    recruiting
    sales
    corporate memberships

Gift Basket Business
    Jen
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011