I am potty training my 3 yr old boy...we are on day 4 and he has only peed one time on the potty. The real problem is that he holds it for 3 to 4 hrs at a time! Any tips on getting him to "let it go" more often?

lcmo6

Asked by lcmo6 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would run water when your trying to get them to go pee.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My son's poop and pee schedule was so out of wack because he was used to just going whenever, so when potty training came around it was a mess (literally). I started putting him on the toilet first thing in the morning and after lunch or whenever he had something to drink and he got used to going at a certain time. Nighttime is kind of tricky, might want to put training pants on at night and putting boxers over them. When they go to the potty make sure ur give them a lot of praise and when they don't go make sure u say nice try or better luck next time. My son loves putting the toilet seat on all by himself and putting the step by the toilet and flushing. You'll find that all kids around this age like to do some things themselves.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Are you only using the big potty? Sometimes it's too overwhelming.

Take him shopping. Allow him to pick out a potty insert and a potty chair to keep in whatever room you are in the most. We actually had 3 potty chairs. 1 for front room, 1 for her bedroom, and one for the dining room. That way we didn't have to grap and run to the potty, which terrified her.
    I would not force her to sit on them for a month and then we would use them as a regular chair for watchign tv, or playing games. Eventually, she would just go on her own and sit and then she decided that if the pee was going thru her big girl pants, she didn't like them wet anymore so she would yank them down and sit on it by herself.
    Ditch the pants if you haven't already. GL!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I notices with my kids that having them TRY first thing in the morning when the got up, 30 minutes after a meal, just before we left to go anywhere, as soon as we got there, right before we left, as soon as we got home and right before bed worked well. Trying to get them to go every hour was a headache for me and my children.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My DD HOLDS it too long as well. I MAKE her go when she wakes up, and before we leave the house. If I feel it;s been a while since she's gone, I tell her to go potty. If she refuses, I don't allow her to take out another toy, or have a snack, whatever, until she goes. It is frustrating, for sometimes she just doesn't care, and says "I don't feel like going potty." ahhhh I just keep reminding and reminding her to GO POTTY.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011