What is the common argument?

What is the common arguments about the Christian belief? What do you believe or know to be facts on why Christianity became so popular and spread? What makes it truer than any other belief? Curisoity has gotten the best of me today : ) blessings

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• If you're looking for just in general I would say those regarding Paul's doctrine, Whether XYZ religions are really "christians" such as JW's Catholics and Mormons, and the trinity debate.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It was persecuted for a while then took off and was forced from there.

Christianity has not been forced in years-yet continues to grow and change- I recently helped brainstorm a paper with my son about the enlightenment period- I believe that in troubled times and immediatey following- religion takes off (all religions) - I believe in the future people will look at this period in Christianity as a time when it became more personal- where people questioned age old beliefs and came to their own conclusion of what Jesus' word vs. mans interpretation really was- I believe this is a positive thing- I believe too many have politicized religion and it is starting to become the personal beliefs system it should be- JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am Christian, but I do not believe it is any truer than any other belief- its just truer to me-
    As far as who gets to use the label Christian- I believe all that do good in Jesus' name should be able to call themselves Christians if they choose-
    not thrilled with the likes of WBC calling themselves Christian- but I will allow Him to deal with them when the time comes ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My husband jokes that Christianity spread so quickly because Jesus was, in fact, a zombie - lol, obviously jk - now I'll be serious.

I think part of it, in the beginning, was the political aspect, the banding together underneath Roman oppression, and then the Roman Empire took it over and pushed it, so it was pretty mandatory... Part of me wonders if his teachings would have really taken wing the way they had if they hadn't been in that environment, if you get what I mean, one of conflict and all...

Even as a Christian, I don't think it's any more true than any other faith. I believe we each have our different ways of relating to and understanding the Divine, life, humanity. Christianity is just what fits me best, as it best enables me to connect to and understand God and my fellow man, and best helps me to articulate that understanding to others. But just because it is MY truth doesn't mean it has to be anyone else's.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Oh, and common arguments (at least ones I've seen) include :
    who is or isn't a "True Christian"
    homosexuality, whether it is truly a sin, etc.
    our relationship with other religions or the inclusive/exclusive nature of faith
    fundamentalist vs. "liberal" or "progressive" views
    literalism vs. allegory/metaphor/etc
    infant baptism

there are lots more - you don't get so many different denominations without there being a lot of things people don't agree on ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• "...Islamic Armies forcing their faith"

Except Muslim armies (usually, for the most part) allowed people the choice not to convert, and to still retain most of their basic autonomy and freedoms. Sure, they charged a tax, but part of me has always wondered if that was to make up for the fact that non-Muslims didn't give the Zakkat....

Look at the Golden Age of Spain, when Muslims ruled in peace.... This convert or die or be exiled was mostly found within Christianity, especially when you look at all the heretics exiled or killed, all the inquisitions, the issues during the Reformation (like in England (Bloody Mary - she's called that for spilling so much Protestant blood in an attempt to reinstate Catholicism as the official faith), etc, etc. Even today we see Christians playing the "True Christian" card, but I've seen many Muslims say that its not their place to judge who is or isn't a Muslim, that it's God's job alone...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I often wonder that myself if it would be so far spread if it had not been forced

Remember it was also persecuted yet survived- I believe that it holds truth for many and that is why it spread quickly and remains popular-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Are we discussing for or against?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• (he tells it better, but I guess that's ironic because I don't think he believes in a literal resurrection... I don't, but I can't remember where he sits on that little aspect of faith...)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Exactly ladies. Oh and I was just being general I guess for both for and against it. I often wonder that myself if it would be so far spread if it had not been forced
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011