How can you tell which hand is dominent?

My son is 13months and I'm trying to teach him to feed himself but I cant tell which one is his dominent hand. He uses both equally to play and seems to do fine when the spoon is in either hand

SarahShirey

Asked by SarahShirey at 12:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is exploring-it is still too early to tell which hand is dominant-he may seem right handed one day or left the next and both the next-it depends...........give him time, he will figure it out. You can try laying the spoons or fork centered in front of him and let him decide what hand he wants to pick it up with and go from there!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• MY SON WAS LIKE THAT, NOW HES MOSTLY LEFT HANDED
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 1:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think that at an early age you really can't tell quiet yet. Someone (probably my MIL) told me that her babies did not establish a dominant hand until they were around 4 years of age and in pre-school. I would just let him eat with what ever hand he so chooses at that time....if he is getting the concept of feeding himself and it is not confusing to him, then he should be fine.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• whatever you do, don't force him to use a certain hand if he doesn't want to or shows interest in both. Maybe try holding the sppon in front of him and whatever hand he grabs it with is the one he will use that day... He will eventually start picking a favorite and using it more
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2008