i m a single mom and im stressing out with my rent and what to get my kids for christmas what can i do

im trying my best but this year has gone so tuff alot of stuff have happened to me but i dont want to give up but im in the spot of giving up

momof4432

Asked by momof4432 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Money & Work

• My son is getting a good will Christmas. I have people tell me that's disgusting. I guess they don't know what it's like not to have a lot of money. Toys might be used, but clean them up and they look great. I also have called and talked to some companies about our bills. Some don't want to work with you, but some are very open to making arrangements that helps some.
    Anonymous

• I know the feeling... I contacted several agencies starting 3 weeks ago to try to get some toys or clothes for my kids. Every place I called they said "we already had sign ups.. too late" I know Iam having a hard time right now. And I have never asked for help @ xmas time so, how would I know when to sign up?? I even called churched and heard the same thing. I even posted on craigslist for used toys or clothes... if anyone had any in my area. And ppl sent emails giving me contacts of agencys... which was very sweet but too late. Then some man kept posting nasty ""post" refering to me sayn" why did I have kids I cant support" He posted it several times a day.... People are just mean sometimes. Good luck..... I know I got emails saying christmas isnt about toys but, I know that. But a 4 year old cant grasp that on x-mas day! Hopefully something will workout for both of us! And before ppl start being rude..yes I have a job!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Maybe you can try freecycle. It's sort of like craigslist but everyting is free! All you have to do is go pick up the stuff that you want! I will be praying for you mamas:-)
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 1:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If you have a Salvation Army in your area, they have a one time rent payment program-they will pay one time for you............maybe check into that?!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i go to the thrift stores for my stuff. and craigslist. but Christmas is just another day. don't stress too much.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well, as I have stressed and stressed on here. The most important thing is to keep food in your home and bills paid. Small children do not need toys and grown children are certainly capable of buying for themselves. What I recommend is that you have a family get together. Everyone bring a dish and have a great Christmas get together. NO need for presents. The excitement of the season should be enough for all to enjoy!
    Anonymous

• Keep stressing that kids dont need toys!!! What child do You know who wouldnt be upset when sant doesnt come? Iam not willing to do that to my child or anyone elses. Try it on yours if you think its so awesome. Maybe you live in the land of make believe. Children (small ones) Believe in santa! I know your prob meaning well by answering her question but, come on. Please
    Anonymous

• I agree with last poster. I am lucky I have family we are going to for xmas. My daughter will get her toys there. This year, I am stuffing her stocking but that is about it. It DOES make you feel bad, I don't care if there ARE other ways to spend the holidays. In this society, we teach children that Santa brings them presents and that only BAD kids don't get any. How horrible for them to think they are bad when Santa doesn't come! I, for one, would sacrifice other things to make sure my kid got SOMETHING on christmas morning. And I don't feel that least bit bad about that. Nor should any other mama's here.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• KeeperBay.com has free toys and warm clothing. As soon as I get my new scale I'll be posting more - so bookmark us. We still had an Elmo the last I looked and I have a bunch of girls clothing I will post next week.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 3:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008