My 3 m.o. baby goes to bed in his crib, but rarely stays there all night

My 3 month old son will go in his crib at night w/ no problem. He still gets up in the middle of the night. Sometimes I can change him and put him right back down. Other times, he will demand a bottle, which I will give him, then put him back in his crib. He rarely falls back asleep. I live in a townhouse, so I don't want him to cry for too long and wake my neighbors, so I'll grab him and bring him to bed to settle down and he immediately falls asleep. I don't know if he is too young to let cry it out. But I also dont' want to get in the habit of bringing him to my bed. By the way, I am a single mother, so it's just me. I just came back to work and need to get some sleep, so I feel this is my only option right now.

mpbaker

Asked by mpbaker at 1:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put his pack and play in your room, or a swing or something. My DH did the same thing when I moved her to her own room. She grew out of it. She just slept longer and longer as time went on and eventually she stayed in there all night. I would bring her in my room and put her in the swing and the motion would help her get back to sleep.
    P.s. I know that you probably know this already and I don't mean to step on your toes but, taking the baby to bed is very dangerous. I was 2 weeks post pardum and very, very tired. I took her to bed with me and my husband DID roll over on her. She was ok...she didn't cry or anything but I was tramatized when I woke up and couldn't find the baby because you was under my husband. I'll NEVER do it again.
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• she...sorry
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I lived in an apt when my first daughter was that age and at first I thought my neighbors would wake up too bu they never did and my husband was deploied I had to just let her cry it out it took about two weeks but she relized that I have to sleep in here this is my bed and I found if you don't talk to them they won't get to excited and if you have a night light I would use that instead of turning on the over head light it also helps them stay calmer and to try to get him to sleep all night have eat alot about a 30min to 45 min before bed
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 1:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• after 12 wks cio is okay. we had to use this method to get my dd in her room, and now w/ the paci--it won't last forever--if it bothers your neighbors just apoligize and explain the situation, most are understanding
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If he stops crying when you put him in your bed, then he's got you all figured out! :o) It is amazing how they can figure out how to get their way at such a young age, isn't it?

Our doctor says that you can begin letting them cry it out at three months. I know this is a controversial topic, however. If you do not want him in bed with you for the long run, then you should let him cry it out in his crib. As long as he is fed and dry, I would go in every 5, 10, and then 15 minutes to reassure the baby that he is OK and you are there but that it is bedtime. It takes some time, but it is worth it, IMO, in the long run.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008