Wash her eye out with chamomile tea?

my mother suggested this to me for my 2 year old who has stringy green boogers coming out of her eye. she got it from my 1 year old who literally just got over it yesterday, before i even had a chance to take her in to the doctor. i plan to take both of them to the doctor tomorrow anyway, but in the meantime my mom said to wash her eye out with chamomile tea in the meantime (as opposed to warm water). so i did, and now her eyes are red like she was in the pool all day. however she's not crying or complaining. maybe the rubbing of the washcloth irritated her eyes? i dont know but im keeping her up for a while to make sure the redness goes down. so far, no more goop coming out of her eyes though. anyway has anyone ever tried this remedy? (btw i waited til the tea cooled off, incase anyone was wondering lol)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes, it's good for pink eye. It sometimes does cause redness (which isn't harmful, and will go away on its own). My mum used to use it on me when I was small, it worked better than eye drops for allergies too.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'll add that when it was used on me, it was never painful. Rarely did minor irritations or infections require a doctor's care... however, pink eye (which is what you are describing- with the green/yellow stringy discharge) truly does need treatment. Chamomile will reduce the irritation, but can not kill the infection alone.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I always just placed warm damp black teabags on my kids eyes. I never had to fight to get to the drops in because it cleared them up. I used the teabags for about 5 minutes, 3xs a day and then gently wiped/rinsed with a warm, damp washcloth.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 8:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I had never heard of this before, but it sounds like it is working for your child and has worked for the PPs children. Thanks for adding something new to my bag of home-remedy tricks. :) Hope your children feel better.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Glad she's ok.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:51 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Pink eye is highly contagious and needs antibiotic drops. That is the ONLY way to truly get rid of Pink Eye. Untreated Pink Eye can cause other problems with the eyes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• it wasn't pink eye, it turned out to be allergy eyes. they were given an antibiotic drop though. thanks!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2011