My two year old is trying to boss us around!

This just started about a week ago when she calls everything "mine" starts yelling "no" at us, and is just plain bossy. Whenever she does it I don't give her what she wants, and I tell her not to yell at me, I have even taken her favorite toy away. But I don't know what else to do. Help??

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's gonna last for a while...my daughter is 2 1/2 and THINKS she runs the place. Best thing I've found is that you get up and walk away..the more you try to tell them it's not right, the more they'll do it. They are looking for positive OR negative attention as long as they get it. Don't tell her not to yell at you..that will make it worse, most likely. But the best advice is to ignore it....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Welcome to terrible two's. That's how they are. My daughter is two and she is the same way. Unfortunately, this is just going to last for a while. Don't give her any attention for it and, when she starts with the "Mine!" the just explain "No, that's mommy's (or whoever's) Unfortunately, it's a phase that's just going to have to run it's course.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i would just put her in time out every time she gets out of line by bossing around you...maybe that will help good luck
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 8:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My daughter does the same thing. She has actually started saying "Shut Up" to me and my SO. She learned it from her 14 year old aunt and 20 year old uncle. We actually started putting her in time out and we explain ourself and what she did wrong. Telling her exactly what she did wrong will help her to understand a little more. She is just testing the waters to see how much she can get away with, so don't back down or give up.
    gwismommy

Answer by gwismommy at 4:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011