ive never dyed my hair before, im 26 with "dirty blonde" hair, and im really wanting to dye it a dark brown, whats the best brand of hair dye?

jbirchard

Asked by jbirchard at 1:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• well, I dont' know about you but I got kids and times are tough........a salon is expensive and you'll still have root issues in 6 weeks anyway. I have NEVER gone to a salon. I have been dying my dirty blonde hair for about 17 years now. you can do this. it's not rocket science as long as your not trying to do more than one color at a time. pick out the color you want. I just use whatever has the color I like. usually colorsilk if i am strapped for cash but mostly miss clairol.
    Sherry6470

Answer by Sherry6470 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I don't die at home anymore, but when I did I used L'oreal :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I would seriously go to a salon. Especially if you have light hair and have never dyed it. You don't want to screw it up. I tried to dye mine black once and it was sooo black it was blue. My sister (who is a hairdresser) about killed me, then had to strip the color out. My hair was fried. Pay the extra for a professional.
    Anonymous

• DEFINITELY SPEND THE EXTRA DOLLAR ON YOUR VIRGIN HAIR, IT WILL BE WORTH IT.
    I DO NOT SUGGEST HERBAL ESSENCE OR GARNIER.
    COLORSILK IS INEXPENSIVE BUT FADES QUICKLY. YOU NEED SOMETHING SPECIFIC FOR LIGHT TO DARK HAIR THAT WILL NOT FADE, SOMETHING THAT COLORS GREY WORKS FOR LIGHT HAIR. YOU'RE BETTER OFF GOING TO A PROFESSIONAL, OR GO INTO A BEAUTY SUPPLY STORE LIKE SALLYS AND ASK A WORKER TO HELP. THEY WILL LEAD YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND YOU WILL HAVE BETTER CONTROL OF THE RESULT.
    GL
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have always used Loreal Feria. I love it but like PP said, it would be better for you to get it professionally done as yours is virgin hair. Color can really fry it!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It doesn't have as much to do with the brand of product as it does with the process. For best results go to a salon. As a beauty professional for more than 30 years, I would never ask a sales clerk at a beauty supply store - why? - because many of the sales clerks at beauty supply stores have never had any education in cosmetology.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If you have light hair, pick a color that is a couple shades lighter than what you want. Because your hair is light, it will most likely absorb ALL the color. Brands aren't too much different one from the other, but the cheaper brands tend to be all one color, while the $7-8 brands have built in highlights and texture.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• id go with a prof too, but they can be way expensive. i would say if you want to do it cheaper get a temporary dye. they wash out, but that way you will know if you like the color. clariol makes a temp dye, then if you like the color you can get the same color in a permanent. just whatever you do dont buy a super cheap one ($3) cause they are HORRID!! i should know cause ive been dying my hair since 7th grade...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• you will need a good comb to comb the color thru your hair.....and possibly a dear friend to help you comb thru your hair. If you have long hair get 2 boxes, better to have to much then not enough - no one wants to see or smell you in the store like that. LOL just a joke........but seriously
    what I do is make sure I comb thur my hair and that it is dry and clean. start in the center of your head. and use the tip of the bottle/applicator to make a part. then got back ouer it while squeezing the color out in the line you just made. then, so that it will come out even, I do one "line" one the left and then one on the right. I start out at the front with my like but continue all the way thru the back of my head. as long as you get the roots good, the back is not as serious because you are going to have to comb the color thru it anyway. good luck. you can do this!!
    Sherry6470

• Don't buy the cheap ones like clairol they fade quickly i did the same thing my hair is naturally a dirty blonde and i always dye it dark brown I like garnier fructis
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2008