What happens when you stop taking progesterone suppositories?

i stopped taking them at 36 weeks and have been contracting ever since maybe the day after i stopped. coinsedence? or can stopping them lead to labor? i know im not in labor, but i am now 2cm and 70% effaced. anyone else with similar experiences?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Low progestrone is related to premature birth and labor in general. At 36 weeks you are really not in to much trouble if you go into labor now because even though 36 weeks is early, it is not dangerously early. They would not stop labor at this point.

You could just keep having contractions and go into labor in a week or two. You will be term at 37 weeks.

But to answer your question the stopping of the progestrone COULD be causing the contractions.
    Anonymous

• I also stopped progesterone at 36 weeks, and had contractions daily after that, but my son was not born till I was 39 weeks and that was only because I was induced. I know it is scarry, I was worried that as soon as I stopped them the baby was gonna come. This didnt happen with me but even if it does you are close and their arnt as many worries now as their were before.
    nataliemaddymom

Answer by nataliemaddymom at 9:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011