How do i cope with my grandpa who was recently diagnosed with alzheimer's?

hes the only father i knew/know and i love him so much...im so upset...

ilovemyboys84

Asked by ilovemyboys84 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Health

• just spend alot of time with him and bring him lots of pictures. See if there is a support group out there. I'm so sorry :(
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I worked with Alzheimers patients and my grandma has it too. My suggestions is to have a lot of patience. You will have to repeat questions over and over again because he will forget. You will have to remind him where he is. Ask him about his childhood and early years of marriage. He will remember all that over what happened 5 minutes before. Go with the flow and be patient. Alzheimers patients have so much to offer about the past. I learned a lot about the Korean conflict and Iwo Jima from one of my clients. Just let them talk and tell stories. If you can, write the stories down or tape them. Look at old pictures. Do puzzles, read to him, keep his mind occupied. And most important, just LOVE him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• right now it isnt bad..he just randomly says things like hes going to another state or leaving to go here or there and dosent remember it afterwards...but i know itll be worse eventually...he has alot of other health issues to go along with it all...i just love him soo much
    ilovemyboys84

Comment by ilovemyboys84 (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My grandmother had it and I used to help take care of her. I think the only time it was super hard for me is seeing her paranoid about people trying to get into the house...but that's 2nd stage.
    Spend time with him and just appreciate what you have right now. We found it helpful to not make fun of, but find humor in the silly things she did. Once she put underwear on her head and then started blow drying her hair lol The funniest part was that she was the most proper person you would have ever met and she was doing all this funny stuff. :) It was nice to see her loosen up a bit! :)
    There are support groups. Find one in your area and go. It's good to have support.
    I like what tyfry7496. Ask him about his childhood and things of the past and write them down in a book/journal before his memory of even the past goes. You'll have those stories to pass down and to tell to your children and generations to come
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 9:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Eventually they pass, and I found it helpful to write down what they were like before the disease....who they really were, because sometimes after they're gone, it has been soooo long since they were their true selves that you forget! So write it down...childhood memories, quirks, attitudes, what you did with them, and where you went with them.
    I wish you all the best.....xoxoxoxoxo
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 9:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• just be patient with him
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My Grandmother/Mom had it and she often thought I was my Mother ( her daughter). I just tried to acted like it was normal. She passed away with other health issues before she got bad. Be there for her as much as you can, and take pictures, as many as you can. Get a video and record her voice. You will want as much of the real her as you can get. That will help you alot. I didn't do any of that and I regret it now that she is gone.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2011