Do you think it would be ok to ask

My SIL is possibly suffering a miscarriage and while I don't know her very well because they live in Hawaii and we live in Utah I've had a few miscarriages and one threatened miscarriage. So I kind of know the feeling but I the medical end too mostly because my son was a threatened miscarriage from weeks 12-18. I just don't know because I know the times when I was in that situation I wanted possibly helpful things to try because I couldn't stand just sitting and waiting.

Would it be inappropriate to ask why they think she's miscarrying,if her doctor has done a beta HCG or other tests?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 9:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• that depends on the type of person you are IMO I would ask but i blurt things out talk to much and almost never think before speaking lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't think I would ask....as you already know that can be a sensitive and painful subject...that some may not want to talk about AT ALL....I would wait to see if she brought up the subject with me first, then maybe ask...but I wouldnt bring it up unless she did first.

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I had a miscarriage. I would have liked someone to talk to about it. I think you should call. You had a few, she would probably like o hear what you have to say.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I am old fashion. I would write her a letter, keep it brief that you were in a similar situation. If she ever wants a sympathetic ear, you are there for her. No pressure.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I really think that writing her a letter would be a softer approach. That way she doesn't feel ambushed when on the phone or in person. Then she can sit down and let your words sink in and allow herself to come to the proper state of mind to reply. All in all, yes I think you should talk to her about it, because you know first hand. A lot of people can try and support, but nobody can truely understand except those who've been through it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree to asking.Writing a letter would be a great approach in my opinion.
    onelove2kids

Answer by onelove2kids at 10:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2011